been ages

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi friends,
Life is just crazy and I haven't posted in too long. Mom is now at end stage AD. She often doesn't know me but lately seems to. She is mostly wheel chair bound as her feet swell painfully from arthritus. Her immune system is weakening and turning on her joints. She had pneumonia but has recovered although not bounced back. I think she rather likes being in a wheel chair as when we take her down the hall she goes "wwwweeee" and makes sounds like an automobile. funny. We were called three times that she wasn't going to make it but she is a tough little gal and is still with us. Down to 83 lbs and looking bad these days but will still smile when we come in and still has a beautiful voice. Yesterday was my birthday and when I told her, she broke out singing happy birthday to me. What a gift!
My Dad had a stroke in Feb and has gone from a rehab hospital, to skilled nursing home to finally at home last week. My step sister is living with him as now he needs 24/7 care. He now has dimentia but so many other health problems we doubt he will live long enough to develop full AD. It was a challenge to see after two parents in two different NH 30 miles apart. I tried to keep my part time job but it was just too stressful so I quit for now. I also developed pneumonia because I ran myself ragged.
The last time Mom's hospice nurse called to say she was really bad it was late at night and she told me not to come ( knowing I had just gotten over being sick). It was hard not to jump in the car and go but I didn't. The next morning Mom was sitting at the table having her breakfast and just fine. So you just never know and I have learned to relax about it. I was so hung up on being there in the event anything happens to her. I realize now that I just might not be there and to make the best of the time I am with her.
I think they really don't believe Mom will last a lot longer eventhough she does keep surprising everyone. Time will tell.
I hope all are doing ok. Even if I don't get here to post as often as I used to your all in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Debbie

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Debbie

So sorry to hear that things havent been so good for you, hope you are on the road to recovery.

Its amazing how they keep surprising us isn’t it, and what a wonderful gift to have mum sing to you on your birthday, that’s priceless.

Take care of yourself.

Cate

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Rummy

Hi Debbie
Nice to hear from you but sorry you have not been well,but looking at the way things have been for you I am not surpised you have been ill.
You take care of yourself it sounds as if you will need all your strengh in the coming weeks.
Thinking of you
Roseann

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Debbie,
Often wonder how you are doing. Take care.
Love Helen

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
No wonder you have ben ill! It sounds as if things are improving a little - hope you are feeling much stronger. Bless your Mum for singing "Happy Birthday"! What a wonderful gift! (and many happy returns!)

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Debbie, I'm sorry to hear you've been so ill and torn in all directions over the care of your parents.

Belated happy birthday greetings to you. Maybe this will make you laugh. The day the palliative care nurse came to assess my mum, instead of refusing her food and looking wanly,she was eating a bowl of ice cream and sitting up playing a card game,looking perfectly chipper. DOH! :D Then when the continuing care assessor came to check her out, my mum was feigning sleep and suddenly sat up and said " BOO" very loudly at her, thus totally undermining her case for sympathy and generous bandings, I suspect.:rolleyes: As you say, you never can tell. You have really hit the nail on the head when you say that you have learnt to relax about the need to be there all the time. Thank you for writing that. It made me feel a lot better and helped to put things in perspective for me.
Kind regards, Deborah Blythe.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Debbie always love reading your updates in how you are & your parents are

yesterday was my birthday and when I told her, she broke out singing happy birthday to me. What a gift!

Happy birthday :) yes surly is a blessing to hear a mother say that when they are so poorly .

Shame about the Job , but at lest you gave it a go , they always the future when things are not so stressful you can go back , that's what I keep telling myself . sounds like you did the right thing .

think they really don't believe Mom will last a lot longer eventhough she does keep surprising everyone

My thought's & prays are for you also (((hugs )))

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Hi Debbie,

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes, And Birthday [[[[[[Hugs]]]]]]

Hope you`re feeling better.

Thinking of you,

Sending Love,

Jan. X

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Thank you all for your responses and well wishes. I will make an effort to come back more often, it really helps to stay in contact !
Mom was in a good way yesterday and very chipper. She continues to amaze me.
Take care everyone and I hope your lives are all going well.
Love, Debbie