1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Been 9 months.......

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by Claireybella, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Claireybella

Claireybella Registered User

Sep 13, 2011
    Portsmouth
    Mum passed away in February after a 10 year battle with Alzheimer's. I realise there's no treatment, no cure, no test to see if I will end up getting it but how do you stop worrying about it? Every day when I forget what I've done with my keys, or I've forgotten what I went upstairs for I turn that into "has it already started?!", I'm only 40! My grandmother and great grandmother had the dreadful disease. My mum was only 70 when she died. I don't want my 2 little boys to see me go through what I witnessed with my mum. How have you all coped with the worrying and what might happen?

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Anxiety is a terrible state @Claireybella and I`m sure your state of anxiety following bereavement will be responsible for your state of mind just now.

Anxiety makes us less efficient, it dulls your senses and can make you what you are not.

If you are unable to do it alone, please see your GP and get some help, for the sake of your two little boys if nothing else.

3. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    Dear @Claireybella this is a fear that affects me too - along with many others, I’m sure. I echo @Grannie G’s advice to seek your doctor’s help if you feel that the worry is overwhelming.
    Other than that, I would say to live in the moment and enjoy the good times. However I appreciate that this is not always enough- so do talk to your doctor, who may well refer you on for something like counselling.
    Good luck and do keep posting.
    Lindy xx

4. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Your anxieties are totally understandable, and natural, @Claireybella . I think all of us who have, over a number of years, watched and cared for someone we love deteriorate with dementia have probably had similar anxieties at times. And I'm sure your family history is making you even more anxious. However, it's not inevitable that you, too, will succumb. Your lifestyle, your diet, etc. will be so much different to your grandmother & great grandmother. And personally, I think that's the way to go. Concentrate on building yourself a healthy lifestyle. Try not to let anxiety about tomorrow rob you of your enjoyment of today. Get plenty of rest and try and build a good sleep pattern. Get plenty of physical exercise. Spend time with people, but also with yourself. And I also take supplements, because I know I don't always eat enough, I'm a snacker! I take high strength B Complex and Fish Oils, and Vit D (I have osteoporosis already), and Magnesium (I find it helps me sleep well). I get out and take long walks when I can, but aim for at least four days a week.
    Of course, it's no guarantee that I won't get dementia, or break a hip or whatever in the future. But I look on it as doing what I can now to maintain my health for as long as possible.