BEEB Radio 4

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Just wondered if anyone caught Libby Purves on R4 this morning. One of her guests was Gearge Melly's wife talking about George's vascular dementia, its effects and the fact that she has set up some sort of Nursing charity to assist her with the dementia.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Thanks for the info - I missed it.

The web page for the programme is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/midweek.shtml and there is an option to listen again on the Web.

Otherwise it is being broadcast again at 21:30 this evening.

I'll listen to it one way or another.

Jan and I saw George Melly on a couple of occasions at the Redgrave Theatre Farnham [shame on the people of Farnham for letting it die], and his shows were really good.

On one occasion, as we walked towards the theatre from the car park, we saw what looked like an immense deckchair progressing towards us. It turned out to be George, who loved large stripey jackets. He stopped us and said "where's the nearest pub?" - this was 20 minutes before he was due to start his performance.
He asked us our names, which was nice.

After the performance, we queued to buy an album he had on sale. As we bought it he asked if we would like him to write on it - we said yes, and he dedicated it to us - without needing to ask who we were - he remembered us from that trip to the pub! I have it still.

Attachments

• Melly.JPG
    Melly.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 510

mollieblue

May 16, 2007
belfast
Brucie, what a great story!
I'm in my thirties so don't really know melly's music but I know who he is and didn't know he was suffering from vascular dementia (Like my mum is). I think it makes your story all the more touching! And it shows that none of us know what lies ahead of us.
one day at a time eh?
ann:)