Bedtime is getting worse

Pickle2510

Jul 22, 2016
Every single night without fail, mum
heads of to bed and then wanders back
In and out of the lounge several times before actually going in her room.

Then, whenever me and my husband go to bed, she comes out of her room
either wanting to know the time, or where her mobile is, or where her tablets are etc etc

Tonight it was her mobile!
There is added stress tonight ad my husband has a hospital procedure tomorrow. I realise that this in itself could be why mum is more irritable than usual, as am I .

I feel the Donzepil medication is no longer helping, and that mum needs an alternative.

She has a medication review on Friday when I intend giving a letter in for the doctor to read beforehand .

Do you think this might be worthwhile?

She is also now refusing to go and stay with my sister during half term , so bang goes any respite for us!

SS have to date offered no support, and still deem
Mum to have capacity!?!?!?

I give up! This disease is awful !!!!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Donepezil won't do anything to affect the symptoms, all it may do is slow down the rate at which the disease progresses. There are other alternatives to Donepezil but none will reverse the symptoms, nothing will change her behaviour patterns.
Some GP's would assess the effect her behaviour is having on you and your husband and may prescribe a sleeping tablet, some will, some won't, you can only ask.
It seems to be a grey area, some say it's unethical to use sleeping tablets as a "chemical cosh" others I know from on here will prescribe them.
I was able to work round this with my wife by just going along, sometimes we went to bed early, sometimes we'd be in Tesco shopping at 2am. I was lucky that I could make the clock irrelevant, I know this isn't an option for everyone.
The problem is that when things become a flashpoint be it bedtime or mealtimes the situation has a habit of escalating, you get stressed out dreading what's going to happen this time.
I would put in writing the situation and give it to the doctor explaining the effect it's having and see what they recommend.
K

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi Pickle 2510

The letter is an excellent idea and I would also suggest that you write down what you would like to achieve i.e. medication that will keep your Mum calm or help her to sleep etc. As an alternative to sleeping tablets, maybe ask about anti-anxiety meds? My Mum is on memantine and trazodone to help with her aggression, mood swings and constant anxiety. We have noticed she can get sleepy as a side effect, but this allows Dad to have a bit of 'quiet time' which he needs.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
@Pickle2510
I’m a huge fan of the letter.
I make notes between appointments so I can tell doc what’s gone on, what q’s I want to ask.
I always leave thinking it’s been a constructive appointment rather than a visit.
Doc is polite and always thanks me for the letter. In this situation i’m thick skinned, she may not like it but she gets it.
I like to think it makes best use of time rather than spend half the appointment going through what has happened she knows.
I always say of course based on the information I am keen to understand your professional opinion on where we are and where we are going.

carolineelf

Dec 22, 2015
Hi
My husband is 58 this month he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's/dementia in 2015.
At the moment we go to bed at 10pm I give him his Zoplicone at this time.
He doesn't sleep well at all. He gets up the most 7times a night.
His brain doesn't switch off.
He often talk to me there's nothing anyone can do I presume it's a stage he is going through.
This illness has had a huge impact on our daughters who are both on antidepressants. I'm trying to look after all of them and wish there was someone who could talk to them.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi
My husband is 58 this month he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's/dementia in 2015.
At the moment we go to bed at 10pm I give him his Zoplicone at this time.
He doesn't sleep well at all. He gets up the most 7times a night.
His brain doesn't switch off.
He often talk to me there's nothing anyone can do I presume it's a stage he is going through.
This illness has had a huge impact on our daughters who are both on antidepressants. I'm trying to look after all of them and wish there was someone who could talk to them.

I wonder what the strength is of the Zopiclone. The 7.5 mg should make anyone sleep at least in the early stages. After a while it ceases to,work. My husband takes Trazodone and that's all he needs nowadays. It's not a knock out drop but does have a sedating effect.