Bedtime and sleep patterns and dressingHi

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi
I am wondering how much Dad's antics are due to dementia and how much due to pain and discomfort.
I am noticing he is not changing into pyjamas most nights and just dives into bed briefly. He goes to be later around 12.00 or 1.00 as I still hear tv on downstairs and then when I get up just before 6.00 he is sitting in arm chair with bed clothes slightly used. He has fractured soine an dlimited mobility but how much is this behaviour likely to be part of dementia? He had personal carers after his last hospital discharge but he refused all personal care help and just told them all to go away. Now we are back to being self funding after CHC was not awarded post assessment I am reluctant to pay for carers just to be turned away with a flea in their ear.

IanDB

Sep 16, 2015
Southport
It could be a comfort issue - I have a back problem myself & when it's particularly painful lying in bed does make it worse. I usually end up dozing in my armchair on nights like that, so possibly your Dad is seeking out the least uncomfortable option.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband has spondilosis of the spine and often sits on the side of the bed or in his chair to get some relief from the pain if he has been lying in one position for too long,

I find using a v shaped pillow for him to sit up slightly and a ordinary one for his back helps keep him more comfortable,

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Jeany and Cat
Thanks for ideas. I do have a v shaped pillow but dad has never tried it so I will offer it later but I think he will refuse. He has a full profiling hospital bed but never uses the adjustments. He doesn't do buttons! I would worry about letting him loose with it in case he condsertinered in the middle.
He has plenty of regular pain relief- 8 paracetamol a day, fentonyl patch and Oxynorm which he always refuses.