Bed safety rails? Pros and cons, please.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well, my mother has taken a tumble out of her bed, resulting in a strained neck, visit to X-ray etc. No permanent damage, thank goodness, but I'm trying to decide what to do for the best. She needs to ge up several (well more than several) times a night, so a bed rail on both sides wouldn't work. I was thinking of getting a rail that fits on one side - if it's sturdy enough, it could also help her to get into position on the bed. However, I have been reading a leaflet on the Independant Living site which seems to suggest that every other alternative should be explore first, due to potential dangers. I could get the bed moved to one wall, but I'm also concerned about her getting trapped between the wall and the bed. So has anyone fitted a bed rail, or chosen not to fit one?

Jennifer

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Bed Rails

Hiya Jennifer

With regards to your question about bedrails, I would like to say that if your mum is able to sit up and get out of bed without assistance then I would not recommend a bed rail. She may become frustrated at not being able to get out of bed and attempt to climb over the rail. As you can imagine, this could have tragic consequences.

Because of other medical conditions (chest problems, etc) I purchased an electric Profile Bed which has a safety rail fitted, to prevent mum rolling out - she no longer has the strength to pull herself up and get out though once up she can move about with assistance.

I know how worrying the falls problem is. I have the same problem when I put mum on the loo. If i move away there is the risk that she will get up and fall - her mobility and balance is very poor and its happened once.

Before I had the bed rail I had a bed lever supplied by the O/T. This was like a small bed rail that slotted between the base of the bed and the mattress. You position it so that when mum sits up to get out she can grab hold of it and balance to stand up. It might be worth you trying this if you haven't already done so. You could also put a bolster or a rolled up duvet between the bed and the wall so she doesn't trap her legs.

Hope you manage to sort something soon. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Thanks for your response.

I agree that rails on both sides of the bed would be a bad idea - she had that when she was in hospital and that's exactly what happened - she climbed over one side and fell. Her care manager (bless her) is going to the local disbability store to see what is available that would work and we both think the bed lever thing is probably more appropriate. Mummy's bed is electric, but unfortunately, that's another thing she's forgotten how to use.

Jennifer