Bed monitor

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
My husband sleeps in a different room to me (he snores loudly) and so I have a bed monitor under his bottom sheet so that if he is out of bed for more than 5 minutes an alarm goes off next to my bed so that I can go to him and see what is wrong.
The problem is the bed monitor is plastic and he has been complaining that it is making him sweat and making his bed wet.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
Like you my husband now sleeps in another room. He is downstairs due to mobility issues. I bought a sensor alarm and as soon as he legs come out and break the 'beam' I am alerted either by chimes or what sounds like a car alarm. It works great as long as the cats aren't in the room as well. Hope this helps.

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
Not sure what type of sheets you're using but a natural cotton or a brushed cotton sheet might stop the sweating.

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
We had abed monitor for a while and I found it a boon, alerting me when my OH stood up from bed as he was very wobbly, not really safe to be up and about while I slept. I think I put it under his draw sheet and disposable pad, to help it stay in place as he is restless and it easily moved around. As he suffers from night sweats anyway it would have been hard to tell if that helped.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Alternatively, you could try a pressure mat next to the bed which would let you know that he had stepped out of bed. They use them in care homes for people who are likely to be a falls risk. I don't think they come with a timer but if he is comfortable in bed he may not get up quite so often.

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Thank you for all your replies. I need the monitor in the bed as I only, at the moment need to know if he gets up and starts getting dressed or if he has been in the bathroom too long. Nearly all the time he manages to go to the toilet in the night on his own, so I don't want to be woken every time he gets up. It's just occasional he has problems and I need to help him change or change the bed.

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Is it possible to put it in a pillowcase or cushion cover?

Unfortunately no as it goes right across the width of the bed.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I don't know how clever you are with sewing, personally I'm useless, can you not make a cover for it using say for example two table runners stitched together, or even old sheets from the bed wrapped around it. As I'm no good with sewing I'd glue it together.

Another idea is how about three pillowcases, or however many it takes to cover it, undo the end of the pillow cases, and stitch them together to make one long one. So you stitch the end of the cases, but are still able to pass the monitor through it. Then stitch the other ends of the next pillowcase, so eventually you have one long pillowcase. I can see what I mean in my head but it's hard to explain.

How about a bolster pillow case?

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
I have bought a bolster cover which is 6' long so the bed monitor slips into it and then I have tucked the ends of the cover under the mattress so that it keeps the monitor from moving around. So at the moment I seem to have found a solution. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Could you use a timer with a pressure mat next to the bed? You can buy these, or social services may supply ( possibly for a rental fee)