Bed Blocking

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
My mother has been in hospital for a month. She was admitted with an infection but that is now cleared. For a few weeks before she went down with the infection she was becoming very difficult to mobilise (she has mixed dementia - vascular and AZs). She has now been bedridden for four weeks, catheterised, on IV fluids and oxygen via nose. However, her records say she is eating her meals and drinking (both with assistance because she can't sit up unaided).

Our gut feeling is that her decreased mobility is due to the advanced stage of her dementia. Obviously lying in bed for so long hasn't improved things but its definitely not the root cause of it. My question is how long is the hospital likely to keep her suspended in limbo before they decide this is as good as it gets and make a decision about where she will be cared for. Her current care home have said they cannot take her back unless she can mobilise using a walking frame plus one carer maximum. As it stands there is a very nice ensuite care home room lying empty which could be used by one of the many other patients sitting in hospital waiting for a place. The system just seems ludicrous to me. Does anyone know if there is an average cut off point for bed blockers?

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
My mother has been in hospital for a month. She was admitted with an infection but that is now cleared. For a few weeks before she went down with the infection she was becoming very difficult to mobilise (she has mixed dementia - vascular and AZs). She has now been bedridden for four weeks, catheterised, on IV fluids and oxygen via nose. However, her records say she is eating her meals and drinking (both with assistance because she can't sit up unaided).

Our gut feeling is that her decreased mobility is due to the advanced stage of her dementia. Obviously lying in bed for so long hasn't improved things but its definitely not the root cause of it. My question is how long is the hospital likely to keep her suspended in limbo before they decide this is as good as it gets and make a decision about where she will be cared for. Her current care home have said they cannot take her back unless she can mobilise using a walking frame plus one carer maximum. As it stands there is a very nice ensuite care home room lying empty which could be used by one of the many other patients sitting in hospital waiting for a place. The system just seems ludicrous to me. Does anyone know if there is an average cut off point for bed blockers?

Hi Navara

I don't know the answer to your question but I have been told of a case where a man was in hospital for 5 months and then died because nowhere would take him.
Logically I would have thought he would have been put in a hospice but I don't know the full circumstances.

William

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Unfortunately I can quite believe it. This is the problem when patients are completely helpless but are not diagnosed 'end of life'. It seems a dreadful waste of resources if the patient in question has vacated a room in a care home which lies unoccupied but is still having to be paid for.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Unfortunately I can quite believe it. This is the problem when patients are completely helpless but are not diagnosed 'end of life'. It seems a dreadful waste of resources if the patient in question has vacated a room in a care home which lies unoccupied but is still having to be paid for.

Navara

Is your mother having to pay for the room herself or is she on CHC funding?.

William

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Self funding. She's now been told she has to move on to a nursing home on discharge. No CHC funding just double the fee to be found to cover the monthly bills! Great.

I've been talking to some of the relatives on the ward and its become obvious the majority of 'bed blocker's are those patients waiting for 'funded' placements not self funders who can move out as soon as they're given discharge and have sorted out a suitable place for their relative. I was in fact more or less told to find somewhere asap or 'they' would send her 'somewhere' because they needed the bed!

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Self funding. She's now been told she has to move on to a nursing home on discharge. No CHC funding just double the fee to be found to cover the monthly bills! Great.

I've been talking to some of the relatives on the ward and its become obvious the majority of 'bed blocker's are those patients waiting for 'funded' placements not self funders who can move out as soon as they're given discharge and have sorted out a suitable place for their relative. I was in fact more or less told to find somewhere asap or 'they' would send her 'somewhere' because they needed the bed!
Hi Navarra, I seem to be in exactly the same position as you. Our social worker has got involved again, we are self-funding too. Yesterday we completed a long questionnaire with the ward sister regarding Mum's changed needs, eg a lot more personal care, not necessarily nursing care. This has gone to SW for assessment, hopefully to provide a little help towards fees. As you say, they have now increased considerably. We have somewhere in mind, but are not moving her until we are clear about the fees. Waiting to hear from SW, do hope there is something positive to say about SS intervention. Stand firm until you have everything in place. We self-funders are always going to be targeted for the obvious reasons. Hope this helps.