Beating Alzheimer's

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wonder if anyone has heard of this publication - 'Beating Alzheimer's: A Step Towards Unlocking the Mysteries of Brain Diseases' by Tom Warren.

I believe it refers to diet, vitamins etc.
Thanks
Izzy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Izzy
Tom Warren describes his battle with AD,yes he does describe diet.
It is available fron Amazon priced from £2.83,there are new and second hand copies available
regards
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy,

Thanks for the information - and from Norm too.

When my parents were staying in Close Care accommodation they were having a main meal at lunchtime and then left to their own devices for breakfast and dinner. Carole, our carer, who works at the Home said that she quite often went in at night and they were eating yoghurt on toast or just bread and butter, because they forgot how to use the microwave to heat precooked meals. Consequently their nutrition was below par and they really muddled a lot of the time.

Since we moved into the bungalow last October, Carole has taken over the cooking. She cooks stews, braised meats, tons of vegetables, apple pies, makes fresh fruit salads, etc and seems to just magic them out of the air! My parents are now eating 3 big meals a day, with morning coffee/afternoon tea as well.

The difference in their mental health has been incredible. All this good food, coupled with 2-3 walks in the fresh air every day has stimulated their appetites and their brains and has a tremendous effect upon their wellbeing altogether. They are much less prone to depression, anxiety and weepy scenes. Another positive aspect of such a good diet is that they are no longer fearful about going out in the car, which means that I can also get out and about more with them - which is great for me too.

Do hope your husband continues well.

Best wishes, Jude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew