Beaten by a Chest Infection

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by technotronic, Jan 12, 2018.

1. technotronic

technotronic Registered User

Jun 14, 2014
    Having completed two stays in hospital wife came home (the second was unnecessary really), my wife who had Early Onset Dementia was released and came home on the 23rd of Dec, that following week up to the 1st of January I cared for her n fed her n carers popped in 3-4times a day to wash her/change her clothes n to change her incontinence pads. When she was released from hospital she had a cough, which was a croaky one, which one nurse said was probably a dry cough, n she needed to drink more water. All the time of my wife's return home, she still had this cough, my giving her cough medicine gradually eased the coughing for my wife till it was no longer croaky.
    I noted that during the night of 31 Dec/1Jan that the cough totally disappeared and my wife slept more easily n peacefully. She slept a lot during that day (1Jan) probably because of no coughing anymore n despite my trying to wake her unsuccessfully at times to feed her; later that day after carers had popped in she developed another cough and her breathing sounded bad. Later when the carers popped in again they showed some concern at her breathing, they suggested maybe 1111 should be called but I said that I would do it if i thought it was getting worse. They then left, I became more concerned a short while after they had gone n I phoned her friend in London to listen to her breathing n she said I should call paramedics straight away which I was about do when there was a knock at the door, the carers had returned bringing another carer with them, once inside they revealed they had called paramedics as they were concerned about my wife's breathing.
    Once paramedics arrived they worked on my wife setting up monitoring equipment n clearing her airways, they came to the conclusion that helping my wife could be better done in hospital, I was at first reluctant to have her go back into hospital having just come out but had to agree to them taking her in if it would help make it easier to get her better.
    Once there the doctors treated her n gave her antibiotics to help fight the infection. During the night the doctor informed me that the antibiotics weren't working n they were just going to make her comfortable. Sadly that night my wife passed away on 2nd of Jan 2018. Her dementia no longer had a hold on her n she was now at peace.

2. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    @technotronic, I'm so sorry to hear your update. Please accept my condolences.

3. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    I am sorry to hear your wife has passed away and as many of us also say... your dearly loved wife is at peace from this wretched illness. Thoughts are with you

4. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Technotronic I'm sorry to hear this sad news.
    Please take comfort in knowing that your wife is no longer suffering

Lilac x

5. technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
    Thank you for your kind thoughts n condolences, I miss her very much, at least she is free from it

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Registered User

Nov 18, 2016
    really, really sorry to read this Technotronic. Take care xx

7. technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
    Thank you for your kind thoughts n condolences, I miss her very much, at least she is now free of it

8. technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
    Thank you for your kind thoughts n condolences, I miss her very much, at least she is now free of it

9. technotronic

Jun 14, 2014

10. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    @technotronic I'm so very sorry to read this. Such a swift ending to your wife's illness might be merciful for her, but must be a dreadful shock for you. My condolences to you.

11. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Sorry to hear this, a swift ending gave your wife a merciful release, but means a big shock to your system. You must miss her very much

12. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    So sorry technotronic please accept my sincere condolences, my thoughts are with you.

13. DollyBird16

DollyBird16 Registered User

Sep 5, 2017
    Female
    Greater London
    #13 DollyBird16, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    So sorry to hear of your loss of your dear wife.
    Your love and care for her shines through. X

14. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    My sincere condolences for your loss.

15. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    @technotronic I'm so sorry to read of your sad loss. I'm glad your wife is now at peace and I wish you strength for the days and weeks to come.

16. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLass Registered User

Feb 15, 2017
    Female
    Ilkley
    Thinking of you, your wife is free from suffering any more. Take care of yourself xx

17. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I’m so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

18. Prudence9

Prudence9 Registered User

Oct 8, 2016
    So very sorry about your Wife technotronic.

You must be missing her very much.
    Sending love and condolences to you xxx

19. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    So sad for you but as you said 'she is free of it now'

Thinking of you and sending huge hugs.

20. Caz60

Caz60 Registered User

Jul 24, 2014
    Lancashire
    So very very sorry for your loss ,my condolences are sent to you ..Much love xx