Beam me up Scottie!

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
For some very frightening financial reasons, I think I may have to bring Monique and me back to the UK... Power of Attorney in France seems to take over 'totally', the financial affairs of both partners in a relationship and control all their monies, through a court system.. For that reason I may need to beam up back to the UK.

The major cost I am facing is an eventual 'Alzheimer's care home' for Monique.

Can anybody on the forum give me 'ball park' figures for the cost of such places in the UK please?

Michael

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Michael,
Frances loss, UKs gain.
I'll throw in some figures - depends where you are living - but I would say anywhere between £500 and £1000 per week.
I am sure others will be able to give a clearer idea.
Love Helen

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Michael

I agree with Helen - the figure of £750 a week is commonly cited. Additional costs for 1-to-1 care are in addition and can be substantial, but such additional care is unusual.

sarahc

Apr 4, 2004
Cost

My mother's (fantastic) home costs around £2000 a month BUT £500 is covered from my late dad's teachers' pension scheme and £500 from State pension.
Good luck, Sarah

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Michael,
My Mum is in a Nursing Home with an EMI unit and we pay £720 a week, but it would be an extra £50 if she was in the EMI ward. I think an ordinary EMI Home might be a little cheaper. A friend of mine was paying far less, because her mother lived in Staffordshire and Kent is an expensive area. It might be a good idea to look around the UK for the most reasonable prices which do not compromise the quality of care.
Kayla

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Michael, Lionel is currently paying £3000 per month. Excellent home whilst his money lasts. He is on the Essex/Suffolk borders.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Michael
Can`t offer any current NH costs, the last we paid was for my mother in 2002 @ £2,000 per month in an excellent home. Up 50% in 5 years by all acounts.
Would like to comiserate on your having to endure such an upheaval.
But `Welcome Home!`
Love Sylvia x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Michael

Consider Scotland? I've recently been round our local NHs, fees range from £400 - £520 a week. Personal care is free in Scotland.

Good luck,

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Michael

Like Scotland Wales is quite reasonable. We pay £467:00 per week for mum, which is about ball park for the area. Her home also has EMI Unit at no extra cost.

Hope you find an area suitable for both of you.

Best wishes
Cate

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Just want to say thank you to you all for the kind words and all the information.

For all their faults - and the French Government does have a few - the standard of care homes here is excellent. The facility I have found, tentatively for Monique, is modern, friendly with a little outside theater, resident 'entertainer' and only has people with Alzheimer's and a staff ratio of 35 to 50 residents.. (mind you that is over 24/7) The price of this is €30,000 a year = £20,000 a year.

I really cannot afford the UK prices for care homes and following my somewhat panic stricken first post I have now found a 'local solution' to the problem with the aid of another forum member...

If ever there is somebody in the same situation as me strongly advise them not to take out French Power or Attorney.... Potentially disastrous move.

Thanks again for the advice and information

Michael

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thats great Michael. Hope the new solution works out for you O.K.

It does sound as if you are managing to get your head around the fact that you may not be able to keep Monique at home for much longer.

You have been her rock, and main support for so long. This way you will get the help needed for Monique, to enable you to go on being her rock.

Thinking of you,