Be prepared for vulchers.

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
Hello Everybody

Thank you all for your support in this matter.
I have now got to make some final preparations for the funeral and give Dougal a brush so he will look smart to see his father off or probably I should say grandfather.
I have to admit I made a couple of small errors organising my mother's funeral but it was the first one I had organised.

Claire
I

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
I too had to face off a vulture. I was so shocked but had to get my wits back sharpish and react. My grandad, who was French, developed dementia then cancer and had to go into a home. I got an email from someone claiming to be his adopted son, and asking for the keys to his home. Now my grandad knew this guy, in fact he'd been his legal guardian up to the age of 18. This is not the same as adoption. I remembered my grandma (who died 5 years before my grandpa) telling me she didn' t trust him because he was deceitful and had done a few things which were dishonest.But the key here is under French law, you cannot disinherit a child, and an adoptive child has all the same inheritance rights as a "biological" child. He knew just what he was doing. i double checked with the courts, my grandad had never adopted him.
I wonder Claire whether maybe your Dad an his relatives are also not English because in many countries you can't disinherit certain relatives. Scottish law for instance is similar to french law when it comes to inheritance.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Agreed - laws in Scotland override the will.

My MIL was left nothing by her mum, with half going to her sister, and half to MILs children.

MIL claimed her 'legal rights' - egged on by FIL (a bitter and twisted person) and so she got a share before the will could be followed.

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
I too had to face off a vulture. I was so shocked but had to get my wits back sharpish and react. My grandad, who was French, developed dementia then cancer and had to go into a home. I got an email from someone claiming to be his adopted son, and asking for the keys to his home. Now my grandad knew this guy, in fact he'd been his legal guardian up to the age of 18. This is not the same as adoption. I remembered my grandma (who died 5 years before my grandpa) telling me she didn' t trust him because he was deceitful and had done a few things which were dishonest.But the key here is under French law, you cannot disinherit a child, and an adoptive child has all the same inheritance rights as a "biological" child. He knew just what he was doing. i double checked with the courts, my grandad had never adopted him.
I wonder Claire whether maybe your Dad an his relatives are also not English because in many countries you can't disinherit certain relatives. Scottish law for instance is similar to french law when it comes to inheritance.

Hi missmarple

We certainly do not have any immediate relatives who are not English.
Oddly I was born in Wales but my parents bought me to England when I was about 2 months old.
I have some cousins living in Scotland. I don't think they are likely to have a claim on my father's estate.
Dad had no assets in Scotland and only went there on holiday a few times.

Claire

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
After my SIL's mother died, there was a general invitation to close family to take something to remember her by before the house was cleared. Her grandson's wife, i.e. not a blood relation, came straight round and grabbed all the jewellery, without even asking whether any of the grandmother's own daughters would like it.

I am pleased to say they made her give it all back.

I find the story of the digital piano astonishing. Some people really have no shame. I would tell the woman the bits and pieces are lost, and donate it to charity. Or at the very least make her pay a reasonable price for it.