BBC2 17 February 22:00 GMT

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I just spotted a programme that may interest members and it is being aired this evening.

"George Melly's Last Stand"

"a candid documentary detailing the last few months in the life of the jazz singer, art critic and journalist George Melly, as he battled against vascular dementia and lung cancer"

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Thanks for posting, I might watch it if I am brave enough. My Dad has VAD & his sister (my Aunt) has been admitted to the local psychiatric hospital within the last week with advanced dementia of some kind, she has also had heart problems in the past so I suspect VAD too, she also has ovarian cancer.

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
What a character, performing until the end! What a saint his wife Diana was.:) Must admit apart from the comments made by other people his dementia wasn't very apparent. What intrigued me was that he was so very aware that he had dementia & mentioned it on stage & some of the symptoms. His wife though openly discussed with him his lung cancer, how long he might have left & his dementia. Perhaps it was the re-enforcement that made him remember, it was never referred to as 'memory problems' as a lot of us do, myself included. When his wife was going to watch him perform she told him not to keep mentioning vaginas & not to swear, he remembered & made it part of his act.:D

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
He was quite a character. He had double lung cancer and very early almost subtle dementia. Lot of interesting facts jumbled in the story so it was very educational.

What touched me also was his wife Diana. She cared for him without question even after their very chequered past (or should I say his). She had such a calm and reflective attitude, as you say a Saint.

Cheers
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Just watched the programme.

An amazing character was George. Last time I saw him, Jan and I were walking from the car park to the Redgrave Theatre in Farnham to see him in concert.

A striped apparition approached us and asked the way to the nearest pub. It was George.

He was back in time for the concert and as always he was great.

Now both George and the theatre are gone.

Sad times, but what a great programme.

Nice also seeing Jane from the BBC World Service interviewing him. It was Jane who was nominated for an award for the programme she did about Jan last year.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Glad that you enjoyed it Bruce, as you alerted us to the fact that it was on.

Thanks for the anecdote too. Interesting all round.:cool:

I have it saved on Sky+ but haven't yet found time to watch it!

I am now able to say that sort of thing, as I have now just got myself Sky+ (Thanks to you and Nina)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew