BBC

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you, one and all, I have been awake since 4.30am getting my head around what I wanted to say, when I didn't know what they would want to ask!! The technology of all this is amazing - the way they do it.

I really,really hope it is of some help, in bringing our plight to the public eye. It did strike me when I worked it out, that none of us are doing 'caring' through choice - we do it because we love the person we care for and that is what successive Governments rely on.......

On to County Hall in Exeter this afternoon, to speak to some County Councillors - then back to my normal life of being indoors 24/7 with himself.

After this excitement the first thing my OH said, was 'Can we now have a game of scrabble?' - oh well.........

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Well done maryjoan.

I particularly liked the points you made about not being able to call somewhere central in times of crisis (or when you need short-term respite) and also about having to explain the problem each time you get allocated a different social worker.

My wife did have a dedicated SW but I was recently informed that their processes/teams were being changed. Although in theory, the same people making up their team will still be available, you will now be put on to whoever is available to take your call or deal with any written/email request.

So, just like having to go through your life history whenever visiting the GP (rarely get to see the same doctor), I will have to go through our "dementia journey" whenever the need for help arises.

Regards
Phil

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Just managed to watch on iplayer and wow, well done @maryjoan, I thought you spoke very eloquently and were a great spokesperson for all the carers out there. Gx

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
It did strike me when I worked it out, that none of us are doing 'caring' through choice - we do it because we love the person we care for and that is what successive Governments rely on.......

I feel this way... and I'm uncomfortable with being labelled a 'carer'. I support my dad because I love him and I feel it's the right thing to do, but it's also a lot more complicated because I have feelings of resentment too. I'm so glad you said this during the interview, and your point about the lack of continuity of support from social services these days was also spot on.

On to County Hall in Exeter this afternoon, to speak to some County Councillors - then back to my normal life of being indoors 24/7 with himself.

Good luck, I hope it goes well and that you are listened to. Perhaps it might even lead to some action (we can only hope!).

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

B72

Jul 21, 2018
The plight of carers is in the Independent this morning. Obviously doesn’t have the power of your interview maryjoan, but will reach people who didn’t see your interview. I’ll try to post it.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well done @maryjoan, I caught the first interview this morning and wondered if the lady being interviewed might be a member of TP - and now I've just got back home and logged on here and can see that it was!

It must have been nerve-wracking - but you hid it so well. I hope you manage to catch up on sleep later after such an early start to a very busy day :)

Well done again.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thanks a lot for that Nitram !

You're welcome.
Note that the link expires at 09.15 tomorrow (21/09/18)
Any member posting the link on to others should point out this fact.
I think it may be unlawful to record it and then send the file!!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I was rather shocked the first time I was referred to as a carer

A tick in a box also made me think.
As a married couple for over 50 years we looked after each other ie cared
It had now become my privilege to care for my wife.
I know she would have done the same for me.
I did not mind being called a carer.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
So so well done, have been at work early and friend recorded it for me, am so proud of you and you made so so many points, it was a hard hitting interview, on behalf of us all an enormous thankyou, thank you.
love and best Geraldinexx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
A tick in a box also made me think.
As a married couple for over 50 years we looked after each other ie cared
It had now become my privilege to care for my wife.
I know she would have done the same for me.
I did not mind being called a carer.
Difference between us is that OH and I are not married and have only been together 8 years - he being well for about 3 of them, so no long strength of memories ot uphold me. I do love him, and that's what keeps me here, but it's all very painful for me.......

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Good job maryjoan, you came across very well. Well done for doing such an interview. 'Poisoned chalice' is a very good description!

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Watched it on catch up and am impressed with your calmness and eloquence.
Gently said ....powerful feelings. Well done.
Malcolm is a lucky man to have you and your devotion to him. Love that his priority was another game of Scrabble.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Not quite sure how this has come about - the lady from CarersUK phoned me yesterday, and now at silly o'clock in the morning, I have 2 BBC chaps in the sitting room setting up a something or other, so I can speak to Louise Minchin on BBC Breakfast!

Caring does seem to go from one extreme to another......

Well done Mary! You were to the point! Professional! I hope the powers that be were listening.

MaNaAk