BBC World Service - Solving Alzheimer’s

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Tonight at 2300 or any time on their podcast you can listen to this programme. Very interesting and takes a look at how it is dealt with in different countries as well as what progress drug companies are making on finding a prevention or cure.

A few statistics you may already know 1 in 3 people aged 85 have Alzheimer’s. Once diagnosed the person has probably been developing the disease for 15 to 20 years before reaching diagnosis.

Only 1% is due to genetics - I personally disagree with that statistic but nobody cares what I think so you can ignore that.

Next week the Netherlands and how they deal with it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I wonder if any of you are listening to this series. It is talking about many aspects of dementia which we discuss on here eg the costs of dealing with it in a variety of countries and how present systems are unsustainable. They are also addressing the “Dementia Friendly Society “ and how that should look.

You can hear it on Sounds or iplayer.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you for advising us about this. I didn't think you could any longer get the World Service on the radio but I looked it up and its programmes are broadcast after Radio 4 closes at night on 92-94 FM. There is one on tomorrow night at 1.32 am. If I'm still up as I often am, I will listen.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Nita if you have a smart phone or similar you can listen on the internet through the Sounds app at any time or by using iplayer. I lie in bed with my ear phones in listening to all kinds of programmes.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Nita if you have a smart phone or similar you can listen on the internet through the Sounds app at any time or by using iplayer. I lie in bed with my ear phones in listening to all kinds of programmes.

Yes, I found it on the BBC Sounds site (used to be iPlayer) on my laptop. I do like listening to "live" programmes on the radio though and I don't have a smartphone. Just as well, as I spend enough time on the internet late into the evening as it is!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Tonight’s issue at 2300 hrs on World Service or anytime on podcast is about the complicated topic of euthanasia. I plan to listen to it in bed but I get a lot out of the accessibility of BBC programmes through podcasts on Sounds or iplayer. I’m not a big TV fan and these days I read thrillers or mysteries rather than more worthy books most of the time.