BBC Radio 4

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
The Memory Experience

Mon-Fri 22-26 Jan, 15:45 - 16:00 15 mins

Series about people who are directly affected by memory loss.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
As Radio 4 listeners, I wondered if you have any comments on the portrayal of Alzheimers disease on the Archers, where Jack Woolley is supposed to be suffering from it?

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Seemed to be quite realistic that he turned aggressively on Peggy, and the rest of the family have only now suddenly become aware of the fact that it is getting too much for her, though she won't want to admit it.

Lila

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Perfect Peggy

Peggy seems to be in quite a reasonable position to cope with Jack's alzheimer problems. Haven't heard about any of Jack's behaviour involving obsessions, toilet problems, sundowning, compulsive behaviour etc., etc., She has plenty of money so has no financial worries and can probably pay for some help so that she is not constantly exhausted. Wish that I had her ability to appear to have quite a bit of free time, or time alone to talk with her family. She also seems to have a very sympathetic family who are willing to help. Lucky Peggy!!

Peggy and Jack's fictional situation bear very little resemblance to what I observe to be the reality of caring for a loved one who has alzheimer's disease.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Tina, that is a pretty good summing up! You are spot on about Peggy's situation, but maybe they are going to sneak the issues in bit by bit over time! I think they are going softly, dropping things in inch by inch. Couldn't really have a whole week of Jack and his Alzheimers, now could you? And it would be a whole lot more interesting if they had chosen someone from a more ordinary family; Joe Grundy for example. I could see him creating a few realistic problems with AD. Or Brian Aldridge. I could actually wish AD upon him, seeing as he is fictional and a terrible pain in the rear! They should hand the script writing over to a bunch of TP-ers for a week, then they'd get a good script!

Last edited:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
I think that's a good point Tina. It all seems rather too 'nice' with Jack. I have a bit of personal grudge against the storyline though: my dad started to be evidently ill around the time that Jack was diagnosed. I was soooooooooooo envious that Jack and Peggy seemed to be able to discuss the situation a bit, and she could reassure him etc. My dad was very very deaf (and probably more affected by AZ by the time it was really recognised) and I couldn't do any of what I heard happening on the Archers.

I wasn't quite sure what was happening this evening with Lillian taking care of him though. Was driving and not entirely concentrating. Who did Jack mention re her marrying? Could this be the start of some awkward stuff about him confusing her with someone else?

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I think he was only wandering about in the past, talking about someone long dead, and Lilian had enough sense not to say, "but Nick died long ago".

It may seem nicer than it is, as Peggy has probably been concealing the worst.