BBC Radio 4 Today Programme re Alzheimers drugs

Ruthie

Jul 9, 2003
South Coast
I switched on BBC Radio 4 "Today" programme a few minutes before 7 am and caught the last part of a discussion with someone (I think) from NICE re the prescription of Alzheimers Drugs. I think you may be able to listen to it again via the BBC website.

Can't stop now as I'm getting ready to go to the hospital for my chemotherapy, but thought I'd alert everyone to this (I'll listen later).

It would be worth commenting by email to the BBC website to raise awareness of how carers feel about things - cost of prescription was discussed, but no mention that I heard of the fact that the drugs may enable people to stay at home longer, thus saving a lot more money for the NHS/state than the cost of the drugs.

Ruthie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Ruthie,

Thank you very much for posting this information and the good points that you raise. Hopefully others will be able to listen in today.

With very best wishes for your chemotherapy.
Jude

Ruthie

Jul 9, 2003
South Coast
Today Programme page on BBC website says item started at 6.45 am, but it is not ready yet to download. Have just emailed a comment to the Today programme re cost of drugs v. saving to NHS because they can extend length of time people can be cared for at home.

Ruthie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
It is there now.

Very good interview with the description of no longer being able to write.

Brought back memories for me as that was one of the things that shocked me when Jan couldn't write her own name. Something we all think is so basic and easy that we could never lose it, and in many ways, our signature is us.

I also e-mailed them saying that if NICE chooses to look at cost, they should do so holistically, taking into account the amount saved by enabling people to continue as normally as possible for as long as they can. Also that in keeping partners together, the cost benefit is priceless. Also that it takes pressure off too few care home places by enabling people to stay at home.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Ruthie, thank you for alerting us.. I do not know how you keep up. Hope all went well with the 'chemo'.

I sometimes wonder how we are supposed to carry the fight onwards. BAD DAY!!!!

Tomorrow I am sure I will feel differently and prepared to carry on the fight. Love Connie