BBC News - Thousands Get care refund hope

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

I thougth that this article may stimulate some discussion.

We are in the process of looking deeply into care home fees as we now have both my mother and father in care. Money is tight to say the least :( and we are now selling the family home as quickly as possible to support funding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/6237129.stm

"Thousands of elderly people who have sold their homes to pay for their care could get refunds after one family got back £50,000. "

Be very interested in peoples thoughts on this and experiences getting help with funding. Not so much from a political point of view, but practical.

Kindest Regards
Craig

Helena

May 24, 2006
craig

Start by going to www.************
then join the MSN group linked to this site they will be only too happy to help you with info etc

You need to start now and refuse to pay the NH bills claiming your parents right to Continuing care .............

The whole issue of charging Dementia patients etc for cqare is illegal and totally immoral

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Craig

Thanks for posting this ... problem with 'refunds' is that you have to have had the money in the first place????

Next thought ... (and I am hoping I am still far away from having to go through this step - but now being responsible for mum's 'estate') keep wondering just how long her modest 'assets' would ever fund her - either for 24/7 care in her own home or .....

.... the analogy I came up with was having spending money for a holiday ... you know exactly how much is available and exactly how long it's got to last .....

The problem with trying to 'fund' and forward plan for dementia care is that you have no idea of timescales ...... and as someone else raised just recently .... however much we try our best to achieve the best for as long as we can ... the 'spending money' is not a bottomless pot ... what happens when the pot is empty?

On a practical level (just financial level as EPA - let alone the emotional) the choices I make or expect to have to make on behalf of mum would be directly linked to a 'prognosis' ......... (no more needs to be said there?)

Trying to make sound decisions on a 'finger in the wind basis' doesn't do much for anyone, huh?

Best of luck Craig ....

Love Karen,

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Karen and Helena,

thank you both for your replies. I'll take a good look at www.************ but it does look like rather a struggle. Still, no pain no gain I guess. Both care homes have made it clear that it is our responsibility to fund the care, so not paying is just not an option as they will bill me directly instead of mum and dad.

I've persued the continued care route and been told that this is only an option in extreeme situations where nursing care needs are very very high. Not given up, but definitely been made clear that I've got a fight on my hands.

The big issue is what to do when the money runs out - which is not the far off. Even the tops ups are frightening for the current homes.

Kind Regards
Craig

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Craig - have you contacted your local primary care trust to find out their protocols for evaluating for continued care? The PALS department at the relevant hospital shoudl at least be able to tell you if they have one.

Jennifer

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Jennifer,

Yes I have and they sent me a booklet and forms with lots of flowcharts on how to appeal and the whole process. I have not given up, but the lady who sent the forms gave me a little hope of getting continuing care for either my mother or father. To complicate things I'm now looking into moving dad and he will be under another PCT. The homes have also told me that the chance of getting continued care are very slim indeed. Don't normally give up easy, but so many other battles to deal with at the moment. The whole process will take a very long time and a lot of energy.

Thanks for your help :)
Craig

Last edited: