BBC, County Hall, and possibly Radio........

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Just a quick question to follow on from the other stuff on my other thread.

As a means of obtaining 'Carer' information, what would best for you, if you had the choice? Just answer with the number if you wish.

1. Carers UK
  2. Local Carers Group
  3. Remembering to pick up a leaflet at Library or similar
  4. Remembering to read leaflet and work out who to contact
  5. Going to CAB
  6. Going to Doctor
  7. Phoning Social Worker
  8. Memory Cafe
  9. a regular blog
  10. a local radio station running a weekly/monthly half hour phone in and carers news programme?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
As a carer who works, I find that this forum is the best way to find good carer information quickly and with 24hr availability. None of your suggested options would work for me.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I work so most wouldn’t be suitable options. I do pick up leaflets so I suppose the drs would be good as I generally scan their leaflet rack when I go. In the ideal world I would like a key worker assigned who would have a wealth of information and contacts.

When I went to the memory clinic I did pick up a leaflet there about a memory cafe that mum did go to until it closed. I would have picked up more information at the clinic had it been available.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I know it's not on your list but I find TP the most useful source of information. I'd be lost without it and it's so easy for me to access it when I have a free moment.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assuming you mean information about being a carer and not information about finding a carer my answer to the multiple choice would be the unlisted 'none of the above'.

This option usually asks for details, my details would be to Google carer relative illness or if I wanted to narrow it down to dementia caring relative dementia. I'd actually do both because general problems of caring apply to caring for somebody with dementia and there are specific problems with caring for somebody with dementia.

This approach ended up with attendance at memory cafés and 'singing for the brain' which would be an 8
It also ended up with joining TP which I am going to record as a 9 ,Weblogs (online diary or log, no debate), and forums are often confused.

I don't know whether or not the above is helpful.

Last edited:

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I’m going to give that ago @nitram and see what comes up. Thanks.

I should have included TP, but I was thinking more along the lines of local information. I do google a lot as well.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
I only use TP. Don’t know how I found it. Probably on Alzheimer’s website.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I usually look at several sources, I have had good and bad advice from professionals. I think a local radio station is a good idea as it raises the profile. I am not sure I would go on it though. I need advice but also need to protect family. The actual advice seems to differ according to individual quality of the actual person.
That is why I think we need some very clear guidelines in plain English.
We had brilliant advice from AgeUK. The person had Aspergers and was very focused.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I usually look at several sources, I have had good and bad advice from professionals. I think a local radio station is a good idea as it raises the profile. I am not sure I would go on it though. I need advice but also need to protect family. The actual advice seems to differ according to individual quality of the actual person.
That is why I think we need some very clear guidelines in plain English.
We had brilliant advice from AgeUK. The person had Aspergers and was very focused.

Very clear guidelines in plain English - oh, I agree to that so much !