Bath seats

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Can anyone recommend a bath seat which has a cut-out to make access to the intimate areas easier for my mam's carers while they are bathing her, please?

We need a seat that will fit in/over the bath, and then the carers take the shower head off the rail to wash and rinse her. She currently sits on a bath board which is proving problematical for these areas.

I have found a few possibilities online but they're not exactly what I'm looking for and I wondered what other people might be using?

Thank you :)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
May be a commode? if you remove the pot you will be able to clean Mum

I know you really want a bath board , I've been looking and the best I've seen is the seat in Jeanie's second link.
I'm also wondering that if you do find a bath board with a suitable cut out, if it will cause a problem as mum slides/moves along the board , that's why I mentioned a commode earlier.
TBH I think your first port of call should be the occupational therapist, they may have something suitable.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Before you buy one I would contact the SS and ask the OT to do an assessment for this type of equipment for your mum. .

You can have various things on loan, they provided my mum with a bath seat (looked like chair) that had to be charged up and could be lowered up and down in the bath, the seat did have holes in. The seat could be swung around to make it easier to get in.

Last edited:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you all so much for replying. The nearest thing to what I'm looking for is the one in Jeany's post, which I had already seen, so I think I'll show dad that one.

I was also wondering about a bowl that can be fitted into the toilet which can be used then like a bidet, or whether the carers could simply use wipes on her intimate areas, or a bowl of soapy water prior to her actually getting in the bath, so I'll mention these too.

Of course it all depends on what she'll allow them to do!

He is going to mention it to the OT too, thank you.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Just to let you know that after doing lots of searching, and showing dad what was available, he eventually asked me to order this:

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathing-aids/bath-boards/atlantis-bath-board

which is the nearest thing to what we had in mind. The next one he liked was the one in jeany's post, but mam would struggle, we think, to step into the bath before being able to sit down, as it is lower than the sides of the bath.

Before ordering, he checked with the carers and they were happy, but he's having trouble reaching the OT, so given the cheap price he asked me to go ahead and order it anyway.

It came this morning and I've taken it round. I'll let you know how they get on!

Thanks, everyone x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
That looks good CG I am pleased you found something suitable x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Well initial impressions are good! Dad's chuffed with it, has fitted it to the bath and says it's more stable than the board they are using currently, and he thinks it will really help the carers to wash mam more thoroughly.

So, fingers crossed; result :)