Basic Instructions For Dummies

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

Please can you tell me how to use these message icons? I have tried, but they never seem to work. I'm obviously missing the salient point, as per usual.

Thanks! Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
using icons

When you write your message, select a Message icon by pressing the radio button alongside [that's the blank circle that gets a black dot when you select it with your mousie]

That will put an icon at the head of your message.

To add a smiley somewhere within the body of a message, just press the one you want.

You won't actually see either until the message is sent, by the way ;)

Attachments

• smilies.jpg
    smilies.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,596

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Bruce, I've only got smilies on the top of my page. There aren't any listed on the left hand side as in your instructions. Should there be two lots of them? If so, that will account for why I can't get any in the body of the post. I failed rocket science at school by the way. Jude

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Jude,

check this out

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/misc.php?s=&action=showsmilies

It sounds like you have disabled smilies somehow. To enable smilies again, clear the 'Disable Smilies in This Post' checkbox...Its at the bottom in the Options section.

If you don't see the box in Bruces picture, it may have something to do with your bowser (e.g. Internet Explorer version).

I'm pretty sure you can also just type in the smily code e.g. :) to get them to appear.

hope that helps
Craig

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The Color Red

Because the browser interprets the smilies and you may not be able to see the characters, I have attached a pdf document with them on.

Attachments

• smiley.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,053

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
If there's a dummies club, can I join?

The one thing I thought was wrong with this site is that when you go to post to a thread, you can't see the thread while you are typing your reply.
I have just realised that the thread is there - below the box you are typing in!!

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Formatting

Dear All

I have just read this thread and noticed on Brucies reply he shows a formatting area which doesn't appear on my computer.

Is this due to old age, either the computer's or mine, or is it something that can be switched on and off? The computer is 5, I am 76.

Barraf

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Barraf

which browser are you using? I assume Internet Explorer...

If so, what version of Internet Explorer?

If you don't know, then from the top menu select Help then select About Internet Explorer

The version number will be displayed.

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Bruce

Yes Internet Explorer.
Version 6.0.2800.1106
Last update Q832894

All that means nothing to me, hope it does to you.

Cheers Barraf

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hmm.... that is the same as mine.

Try going to Tools

then Internet Options

then select Advanced

I have attached what my advanced Browse options look like - are yours the same?

Bruce

Attachments

• ie6.jpg
    ie6.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,430

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Bruce

Yes the dialogue box is the same, and the same boxes are ticked as far as I can see. Although I cannot scroll down on your image.

Barraf

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello again Bruce

I have managed to get the extra formatting on screen now. The control panel setting was basic edit only, have now checked standard editing and have the extra formats.

Thanks for your help.

Barraf.

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
wrong thread

I posted a new thread this morning but went into the wrong forum. Is it possible to move it without typing it out again?

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Mocha I have asked the other moderators to move it for you - hopefully will happen later.
Helen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej