Barclays POA

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
Hi All
Has anybody recently set up a POA with Barclays.
I had an Appointment on 29 Aug after waiting two weeks and was there for about an hour. I was told it would take about a week to receive a bank card and internet banking log in details. As of today 8 Sept nothing.
Do you think I have given them long enough or is this how long it takes.
I need access to Dads account shortly as his care home feed will be due.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
if It does not arrive on Monday I would give them a call. If their time scale is 7 working days then it will just be one day overdue on Monday. There is no harm giving them a nudge though they may reply that it is in the system/post and due any time now.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I set up poa with Barclays for dad around 4 years ago so not recently but the timescale sounds about the same from what I remember. Think it took about 10 days for card and cheque book etc to come through.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I set up POA for Mum at Barclays recently - however she only had a Savings account with them, not a Current account, so it may be completely different.
The actual process in branch took an eternity as they had changed all their systems, and the advisor could not get the codes for the POA screens up and functioning:mad:. I did receive £25 by way of an apology though :D. Although I am usually pleased with the way Barclays functions, the whole POA thing was unclear and a bit vague. Other financial POA's I have lodged with other Banks/B Socs for Mum's investments have been much better explained and sorted.

Do you bank at Barclays yourself? I heard nothing for ages about the status of the POA and went in all guns blazing to complain. It turns out that they 'link' the POA to your own account. Ergo I had no 'authority' for Mum's account - I just log in at the branch with my PIN, there is a link on the system and that is what gives me authority to make payments, withdraw etc.

Good luck!

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
Thanks everyone for your replies. If nothing arrives on Monday I’ll call into the branch . I did try calling but the number I was given took me straight through to telephone banking which required a sort code account number etc and TBH I thought to myself that customer services probably wouldn’t have a clue going on my experience do far

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
If you just hang on the line when the account details are requested - you will get through to somebody (it's sometimes a quick way to jump the queue!) They will then attempt to take you through security (if you have appropriate details) but may or may not be able to help, as you rightly say :rolleyes:.
I am very old fashioned and much prefer face to face in Branch than disembodied Customer Services!