Barbara Lost the battle to Alzheimer's

Pete J

Jul 19, 2012
Thank you all for your help and support over the past years.
My Wife sadly passed away on 28th August 2017 age 66.
Although it was expected, I was in total denial. Alzheimer's was never going to take my Barbara away from me, and it has hit me so hard.
I have known her foe 50 years and if she had hung on for just three more days we would have been Married for 48 years.
I now have some very hard times ahead.
Thinking of you all
Pete.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I am so sorry to hear this sad news, Pete. Please accept my condolences .

Be gentle with yourself

Lin x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so sorry to hear your sad news Peter. We can never truly be prepared for this moment. Thinking of you and wishing you strength and support during such an overwhelming loss.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news Pete J
sending you much sympathy
thank you for letting us know
I'm glad TP has been a support to you - we continue to be here, so do post if we can help
best wishes

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear your news, Pete. I think, even though we know it's coming, Dementia is such a long lasting and gradual illness, that we do come to think that it's never really going to come to its end. My condolences to you.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a cruel disease. I would say too, that we are all here still to support you through this hard time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news Pete.

Please keep in touch. I found this forum invaluable in the weeks after my husband died. We're here to support as much as we can.

Wishing you strength.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you Pete

People trot out sayings like "look after yourself"

And I wondered how do you look after yourself when in depths of mourning

What I have learned is, the best way to look after yourself, is to ignore the guilt monster and the "what if" monster and try to remember the good times

Not easy, but we are here, holding your hand tight xxxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
My sincere sympathy Pete, Barbara was too young. I echo most of what others have said, do come here any time and write whatever you wish. It can help, and many of us have lost our life partner to this horrible disease. Like Izzy I have found TP an immense help since I lost my husband last year, and I still do.

It is not easy and we are all here for you.

Thinking of you

Loo x

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Thank you all for your help and support over the past years.
My Wife sadly passed away on 28th August 2017 age 66.
Although it was expected, I was in total denial. Alzheimer's was never going to take my Barbara away from me, and it has hit me so hard.
I have known her foe 50 years and if she had hung on for just three more days we would have been Married for 48 years.
I now have some very hard times ahead.
Thinking of you all
Pete.

What can one say to someone who has lost a lifetime partner? There simply are no words.
Yes you will have some hard times ahead and at times no doubt the grief will overwhelm you.

Just remember, however you cope, is probably the right way for you to cope. there are no 'rights or wrongs' for how one should grieve.