1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Barbara Lost the battle to Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Pete J, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Pete J

Pete J Registered User

Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you all for your help and support over the past years.
    My Wife sadly passed away on 28th August 2017 age 66.
    Although it was expected, I was in total denial. Alzheimer's was never going to take my Barbara away from me, and it has hit me so hard.
    I have known her foe 50 years and if she had hung on for just three more days we would have been Married for 48 years.
    I now have some very hard times ahead.
    Thinking of you all
    Pete.

2. ellejay

ellejay Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Essex
    I am so sorry to hear this sad news, Pete. Please accept my condolences .

Be gentle with yourself

Lin x

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I'm so sorry Pete. My thoughts are with you.

4. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    I am so sorry to hear your sad news Peter. We can never truly be prepared for this moment. Thinking of you and wishing you strength and support during such an overwhelming loss.

5. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    sad news Pete J
    sending you much sympathy
    thank you for letting us know
    I'm glad TP has been a support to you - we continue to be here, so do post if we can help
    best wishes

6. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Sorry to hear your news, Pete. I think, even though we know it's coming, Dementia is such a long lasting and gradual illness, that we do come to think that it's never really going to come to its end. My condolences to you.

7. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a cruel disease. I would say too, that we are all here still to support you through this hard time.

8. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm so sorry to read your news Pete.

Please keep in touch. I found this forum invaluable in the weeks after my husband died. We're here to support as much as we can.

Wishing you strength.

9. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Thinking of you Pete

People trot out sayings like "look after yourself"

And I wondered how do you look after yourself when in depths of mourning

What I have learned is, the best way to look after yourself, is to ignore the guilt monster and the "what if" monster and try to remember the good times

Not easy, but we are here, holding your hand tight xxxxx

10. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    My sincere sympathy Pete, Barbara was too young. I echo most of what others have said, do come here any time and write whatever you wish. It can help, and many of us have lost our life partner to this horrible disease. Like Izzy I have found TP an immense help since I lost my husband last year, and I still do.

It is not easy and we are all here for you.

Thinking of you

Loo x

11. lemonjuice

lemonjuice Registered User

Jun 15, 2016
    England
    What can one say to someone who has lost a lifetime partner? There simply are no words.
    Yes you will have some hard times ahead and at times no doubt the grief will overwhelm you.

Just remember, however you cope, is probably the right way for you to cope. there are no 'rights or wrongs' for how one should grieve.

12. HillyBilly

HillyBilly Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Oh Pete I am so very sorry for your loss. TP is always here if you need support or somewhere to wail x

13. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    So sorry Pete, very sorry for your loss. X