Banks! what a nightmare

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
It seems to me that my Fathers bank has not a clue as to what a Deputyship is. I have had no end of problems with them from being awarded the Deputyship. They have finally after asking 3 times sent me a cheque book but whilst it has been sent to me it my address the cheques themselves have my Dads name on. I am assuming that my name should be on the cheques as the names wont match otherwise. Anyone else have these problems?

Last edited:

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Yep, afraid so. For me it's going back five years so the bad memories are fading, but I really sympathise. I found some branches of bank/financial institutions to be very helpful about these type of situations and others who just couldn't seem to grasp what you're talking about. It certainly caused me a lot of stress when I was trying to sort out my mum's finances, because I'd had to go down the deputyship route. There wasn't one member of staff across the board that knew what I was talking about re deputyship. The difference for me was that some people I spoke to went out of their way to find out what they needed to know so they could help me. Others would keep referring to power of attorney because that was something they knew about. 'No, I haven't got that, deputyship is completely different' (repeated ad finitum). I won't say which institutions I had problems with because, in my experience, however poor the training given in these matters, some people did their very best to help me (and succeeded) even though they hadn't initally heard of deputyship.

Unfortunately I'm sure your name needs to be on the chequebook. My deputy account, and thus the chequebooks, are under 'Mrs .... ...... deputy for Mrs ... ... ....', as is the debit card. I'm sorry you're having this extra stress on top of what you're already dealing with.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have poa which I know is different and have had trouble getting cheque books issued for me as poa. Problem solved when they said that as an authorised signature I can sign on cheque books in mum's name.

Might not work but if you have a suitable payment to test it on maybe try it?

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
UK TP members are lucky to have lasting POA etc in the UK - our laws don't allow that only Guardianship, ours was contested against by the Invisible (thanks for that Invisible!). so we are having to consult a solicitor to see what we could do or her account will be blocked - ah well thats life!

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Well the bank has told me that all cheque books have to be in account holders name and I just need to sign in my name. We will see what happens when I test the theory out. However the bank card is totallly different it has my name on it and COP.
Yep, afraid so. For me it's going back five years so the bad memories are fading, but I really sympathise. I found some branches of bank/financial institutions to be very helpful about these type of situations and others who just couldn't seem to grasp what you're talking about. It certainly caused me a lot of stress when I was trying to sort out my mum's finances, because I'd had to go down the deputyship route. There wasn't one member of staff across the board that knew what I was talking about re deputyship. The difference for me was that some people I spoke to went out of their way to find out what they needed to know so they could help me. Others would keep referring to power of attorney because that was something they knew about. 'No, I haven't got that, deputyship is completely different' (repeated ad finitum). I won't say which institutions I had problems with because, in my experience, however poor the training given in these matters, some people did their very best to help me (and succeeded) even though they hadn't initally heard of deputyship.

Unfortunately I'm sure your name needs to be on the chequebook. My deputy account, and thus the chequebooks, are under 'Mrs .... ...... deputy for Mrs ... ... ....', as is the debit card. I'm sorry you're having this extra stress on top of what you're already dealing with.

Latitude

Jul 12, 2019
Oh tell me about it! I'm sorry that yourselves are having a nightmare, but it's unbelievable.
My parents have several accounts with different banks. They all operate differently. They all have unique to them I.D. requirements for accepting Attorneyships. One bank accepted a piece of paper alluding to an EPA which wasn't registered and on the basis of that blocked the account holders from accessing monies, statements etc. Instead that unregistered bxxxxxx, (please excuse my language) also had a proviso added - should anyone want access including the account holders, they couldnt unless he sanctioned it and nothing could be altered without his knowledge. Cards and pass books went missing from their home. Getting replacements was a nightmare. That was just one bank. Thankfully it's now safe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7