Bank statements for financial assessment

martin9955

May 14, 2022
Hi folks mum has dementia and has been living at home but it's coming to the time that we think she may be safer in a care home,Can anyone tell me how far back the LA will need to see bank statements for the financial assessment.I know that you can get them going back 7 years online but I have no idea if you can get them further back than that in the branch? Mum banks with Barclays and I have LPA,also do you have to pay to obtain statements if they are very far back

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hi @martin9955 I am not sure about the financial assessment question as I did have to do this for my mother but it would have been back in about 2011. I think they asked for details of her income and because she only had her state pension, small occupational pension and Attendance Allowance they only wanted proof of these. She had a small amount of savings and I showed them recent bank account statements. It might depend on how much and how complicated your mother's assets are as to what you have to provide.

With regard to getting old bank statements, after my mother died I had to prove she was entitled to Pension Credit Savings Credit back in the early 2000s, I think, and the bank did supply those after a short wait from their archives and there was no charge.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @martin9955 and welcome to Talking Point.
Different Local Authorities have different time periods (ours is 12 months), but I wouldnt have thought that any of them would want further than 7 years back - at least, not in the initial assessment. If they think that there is something dodgy going on and you are trying to hide finances they can go back indefinitely, but so long as you are on the level I wouldnt worry too much. They will send a list of what they want to see, so will tell you how far back they want details.

martin9955

May 14, 2022
Hi @martin9955 I am not sure about the financial assessment question as I did have to do this for my mother but it would have been back in about 2011. I think they asked for details of her income and because she only had her state pension, small occupational pension and Attendance Allowance they only wanted proof of these. She had a small amount of savings and I showed them recent bank account statements. It might depend on how much and how complicated your mother's assets are as to what you have to provide.

With regard to getting old bank statements, after my mother died I had to prove she was entitled to Pension Credit Savings Credit back in the early 2000s, I think, and the bank did supply those after a short wait from their archives and there was no charge.
Thanks

martin9955

May 14, 2022
Hi @martin9955 and welcome to Talking Point.
Different Local Authorities have different time periods (ours is 12 months), but I wouldnt have thought that any of them would want further than 7 years back - at least, not in the initial assessment. If they think that there is something dodgy going on and you are trying to hide finances they can go back indefinitely, but so long as you are on the level I wouldnt worry too much. They will send a list of what they want to see, so will tell you how far back they want details.
Hi thanks,mum only has a couple of accounts so it should be quite easy,i just had a vision of having to pay a lot of money for historical statements

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
When dad had a assessment for carers which were being provided by the LA they didn't need much paperwork. The guy that came out in 2017 actually advised us to help dad apply for attendance allowance. Dad basically had his state pension and a work pension a small amount of savings. All that was required for him to look at was a couple of recent Bank statements and a idea of dads outgoings. The guy even took the expenses of dads little dog into account and the cost of dads pull ups, he eventually got provided pads after further incontinence issues and visit to clinic. Dad contributed to his carers based on his income which remained at a steady rate. No one came out again but I believe at the next review just had to confirm dads financial situation was much the same.

Wigan Lass

Jul 26, 2019
Hi folks mum has dementia and has been living at home but it's coming to the time that we think she may be safer in a care home,Can anyone tell me how far back the LA will need to see bank statements for the financial assessment.I know that you can get them going back 7 years online but I have no idea if you can get them further back than that in the branch? Mum banks with Barclays and I have LPA,also do you have to pay to obtain statements if they are very far back
Hi Martin
I had to supply 6 months of statements

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024