Bank say cannot register my deputyship ? Is this right ? Advice please.

Lotti

Jul 31, 2007
Hi everyone,

I took my court order into the bank that's supposed to give a little extra help after previously telephoning and arranging an appointment with the relevant adviser. They tell me that their head office will not accept my registration individually because my brother in laws name is also on the order, although it does state jointly and severally. I thought severally would mean I could register on my own and then when my brother in law comes back from overseas - where he lives, he can too register his. No they say the initial registration has to be done together then we would be able to access the accounts individually. Surely this cannot be right, - does this mean he has to fly over just to register with me ?

Any advice please ?

Lotti

Jul 31, 2007
Just to update for anyone who was interested.

I telephoned the building society and told them if they are refusing to register my several deputyship then I would need that in writing. This would be so I could present it to the solicitors when they we're requesting their fees be paid. The building society rang back and said they had been in touch with the OPG and said they could do it and apologized for me having to go back with all my particulars.

I cannot believe a big building society like this do not register deputyship more regularly.

But.....all sorted now.

Lottie

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi Lotti I am sorry no-one answered your thread, I did read it but as I know nothing about this I couldn't give you any help , any way I am pleased you got it sorted, I am sure things are difficult enough for you without this extra delay which could have been avoided, people make things so difficult ,don't they ?

Jeany x

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Glad to hear you got it sorted, Lotti. I don't understand why a basic prccedure like this is made out to be so difficult.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Lotti, glad you got that issue sorted. Isn't it interesting how things can change when requests are made to put everything in writing? Obviously the bank didn't check, just made an arbitrary decision, which happened to be wrong. Good for you!

Steevjo

Dec 2, 2012
In my limited experience - I've just been appointed a deputy for my dad - the way banks handle deputyship could be improved across the board.

One organisation sent a pack which didn't even mention deputies on any of the forms it included. However once they had seen the COP order they sent full details on how to access the account by phone and web and it all worked first time.

Another organisation has full information on line and downloadable forms however I still can't access the account. Recently told that I am now a 'receiver' on the account, the letter didn't say anything else. On phoning the number on the letter told that a receiver can't access the money in the account and that I needed to call a different number which is closed at the weekend. However they did send me two copies of the most recent statement, hopeless.

I'm sure it will get sorted but neither organisation has made the process clear and straightforward.

Cheers

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
The banks and building societies are very wary of Deputyship orders. With power of attorney the person has given their permission for the person to act on their behalf so, to the banks that is acceptable. They seem to be more wary of the Deputyship orders because these are court appointed and the person with the money has not given their specific permission for their finances to be handled by this person. You could think that a court appointed person with a copy of the order would not present a problem - but unfortunately it does. It also seems that some bank personnel don't understand the difference between power of attorney and Deputyship which doesn't help at all.

Fiona

Steevjo

Dec 2, 2012
Just an update on my experience - I still don't have access to my Dad's main account despite two visits to the branch and several phone calls.

I do have a letter of apology for the inadequate service and wrong information given by just about everyone involved - and £90 for goodwill.

However the letter also said that there was no way to access the account via the internet - only at the branch or via a very limited telephone service - which I still don't have access details for.

What does everyone else do? The forum sponsors don't seem to offer the level of service needed to manage finances these days.

Are there banks that do?
Should I just open another account in my name and move everything to that?

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have Deputyship for my husband and have to say that I had no trouble registering it with black equine bank nor with the building society that is all over the country. Deputyship isn't as common as LPA and is comparitively new so some staff aren't familiar with it. The advisor I saw about the BS account had to speak to his manager then rang head office. He came off the phone and said he'd been told it was really like power of attourney. I agreed and added that it was more closely supervised. They arranged for a cheque book and debit card with Deputy on them and internet banking for my husband.

Steevjo

Dec 2, 2012
It's a farce! Just heard back from second complaints person who said first complaints person was wrong - there is no telephone banking allowed either!

Called my OPG supervision team, they were sympathetic and said they had been trying to work with the banking community as a whole to educate them about all this. Can't come soon enough!

I'm new to this and am gobsmacked at the lack of knowledge. I will eventually calm down and just move the account which I know is the sensible thing to do.

Might have to let the CEO know just how bad they are first though :)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...The forum sponsors don't seem to offer the level of service needed to manage finances these days..."

I assume you are referring to Santander

They do limit on-line access for attorneys, only LPA and EPA are allowed

"Online Banking

If you use the Online Banking service, you will automatically see the accounts you are Power of Attorney on listed within your account summaries.

If you wish to have separate access or are not already registered for Online Banking, this can be arranged by calling 0845 9724 724* (we are available 7am - 11pm Monday to Saturday and 8am - 10pm on Sundays).

Note: Online Banking access is only available for the following Power of Attorney types:

Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA)
Lasting Power of Attorney (LPOA)"

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Sat..._GB&pagename=Abbeycom/Page/WC_ACOM_TemplateA1

If you do contact the CEO I suggest you ask her directly for the rational behind excluding court appointed deputies from the list.

patilo33

Oct 12, 2011
Scunthorpe
Hi Lottie and Stevijo,
Brother and I are joint and severally deputies for mum. 4 years now.
Hope our experiences can help you.
No tel or Internet access for accounts. Yes, that's right. See fifimo's post for explanation.

Found the best way to approach any dealings about COP matters is to communicate only with the dept who deal specifically with COP and LPA's. Their direct number wil be a boon.

Local bank staff are not well informed about the process and their misinformation has caused a great deal of distress in the past. A number of £25 goodwill payments where handy though from the .....x bank.

I withdraw money from the cash machine- you get a receipt from the machine but not over the counter. I keep the records of expenditure and my brother checks the outgoings with the monthly statements. He also worked out the spreadsheet system that we use.

If its of any help I can offer you some suggestions about keeping records for the annual accounts if you want to pm me.

TP is a good place for support in these and other areas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman