Bank revoking lasting power of attorney

Purple749

Mar 29, 2023
Power of attorney's for mum came through in November 2022. In December she unusually gave her bank details over the phone, the way she explained it, and how patient the person had been on the phone while she went up stairs to get her bank details. Once she gave all the details she was informed a payment had been paid into her bank instantly.
Needless to say I went to the bank and got her card stopped, as alarm bells were ringing.

Now mum has no insight that she now has some care and support needs and really, really took umbridge to this and her anger was like nothing I've ever seen. Mum's ability to reason and understanding has also been really impacted by the Alzheimer's in this instance.

Unknown to me until Monday, mum had gone into the bank still angry to express that she does not want anyone having access to her bank account that includes me.

After paying a large vet bill at the weekend for her cat that i need to be reimbursed for and wanting to set up a direct debit for one of her utility bills.
I decided to pop by the bank, i was informed the LPA had not been set up properly and the bank would not discuss anything with me, and they gave ma a number to call.

To cut a long story short, because mum can present well to others when determined about something. Due to her expressing she did not want anyone else accessing her bank accounts they revoked the power of attorney 😪

I thought that having powers of attorney's in place would make things easier.....Now I have to call the bank again to re register the LPA I'm just worried I'm going to be constantly running around constantly having to re register these documents😭😭😭

Surely this can't be right? This disease has a real dislike towards me, it's making everything so much more difficult😓

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I think a call to the Banks Power of Attorney dept (often in the Brevement section) explaining the situation may be the first step. Counter staff and Branch staff may not be able to really help much, but should be able to give you the contact for the correct dept.

Bod

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
Are they saying the OPG have not setup the LPA correctly, or are they saying their registration of the LPA on the account has not been done properly?

I know diddly about LPA's as my sister handles that side of things for mum, but as @Bod says it may be worth giving the bank a call to clarify things.

The Gov website has a page about the requirements for ending LPA's

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Is the POA registered with the OPG?
When the document was drawn up, was the capasity clause included?
You may need to go and talk to the bank, taking the docs with you - they need to understand the pointof the POA papers

I think the difficuty lays when you are both operating her account, or have you taken control ?

Purple749

Mar 29, 2023
The bank informed me that they have had to act on mum's request not to let me have access to her account.

LPA it's self ok as set up with a local solicitor.

It's just the bank that are causing a problem, I understand they are safeguarding her money. However, they do not know the additional stress this is causing.

I'm now on hold with the bank trying to resolve this matter. Hopefully it will not be another 2 hour call.🤔

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What do u mean, set up with a solicitor?
Solicitor drew it up?
Has it been registered with OPG?

do you both operate the account?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The bank are assessing her as having capacity.
You need a statement from a clinician saying that you mum lacks capacity to handle her finances.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
So sorry you’re going through this @Purple749
POA are soooo stressful- my observation is that most of the banking people aren’t really that clued up in the process.
I hope you at least get some advice and help from the phone call

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
POA are soooo stressful- my observation is that most of the banking people aren’t really that clued up in the process.
Unless the power states otherwise if the donor has capacity an attorney can only use a financial LPA with the donor's consent.

The bank have assessed mum as having capacity and blocked the LPA .
It has a duty of care to mum, they probably assessed her in hostess mode, as I have said the solution is a statement from a clinician

Lizzie-66

Apr 24, 2023
Power of attorney's for mum came through in November 2022. In December she unusually gave her bank details over the phone, the way she explained it, and how patient the person had been on the phone while she went up stairs to get her bank details. Once she gave all the details she was informed a payment had been paid into her bank instantly.
Needless to say I went to the bank and got her card stopped, as alarm bells were ringing.

Now mum has no insight that she now has some care and support needs and really, really took umbridge to this and her anger was like nothing I've ever seen. Mum's ability to reason and understanding has also been really impacted by the Alzheimer's in this instance.

Unknown to me until Monday, mum had gone into the bank still angry to express that she does not want anyone having access to her bank account that includes me.

After paying a large vet bill at the weekend for her cat that i need to be reimbursed for and wanting to set up a direct debit for one of her utility bills.
I decided to pop by the bank, i was informed the LPA had not been set up properly and the bank would not discuss anything with me, and they gave ma a number to call.

To cut a long story short, because mum can present well to others when determined about something. Due to her expressing she did not want anyone else accessing her bank accounts they revoked the power of attorney 😪

I thought that having powers of attorney's in place would make things easier.....Now I have to call the bank again to re register the LPA I'm just worried I'm going to be constantly running around constantly having to re register these documents😭😭😭

Surely this can't be right? This disease has a real dislike towards me, it's making everything so much more difficult😓
Hi, I can totally sympathise with you as my mums bank has given me hell for the last 8 months for the very same reason. I'm still trying to work things out after providing documentation 3 times.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi, I can totally sympathise with you as my mums bank has given me hell for the last 8 months for the very same reason. I'm still trying to work things out after providing documentation 3 times.
Hello and welcome to Talking Point @Lizzie-66 I am so sorry that you are having this problem with the POA. Have you spoken to the bank's POA department to discuss this with them.
If you cannot get the issue resolved it might be useful to speak to the Alzheimer's Society helpline. Please see the link below.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951