1. Margi29

    Margi29 Registered User

    Oct 31, 2016
    Last year mum went with me and my sister to her two banks and a mandate was sorted so we could get access to money for mum when she is unable to get there. Now one bank has mine and mums name on and other has mum and sisters name on.

    Mum trusts us totally, we would rather give to mum than her go without anything.

    Do we need to get a POA ?? Would it make any difference to us or mum ??

    I am not sure what a POA actually covers ??
  2. marionq

    marionq Registered User

    Apr 24, 2013
    Margi I find that in a variety of situations relating to finance and also to other things I will be asked "Do you have POA?" Since I always answer yes then I don't know how difficult it would be if I didn't have it.

    This can crop up with health appointments at the GP or clinics or hospital. It cropped up when SW wanted him to go into care as a safety measure. It cropped up when they did a financial assessment. John is still at home with me so I am his spokesperson in everything.

    In other words you might never need it but if is there it is one less worry. I paid a solicitor when we both got POA done before his diagnosis but lots of TP members have downloaded the forms and got their PWD to sign. Please register it straight away if you do it yourself and get Finance and also Health and Welfare.
  3. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    If your mothers affairs are complicated or she has a house that might have to be sold at some point, or she has private pensions etc, go for financial LPA. The health LPA is always advisable. And it doesn't cost much to do. You can fill in both forms yourself, online or on paper, maybe with the free help of a charity, but you do not need a solicitor. It only costs £110 to register each LPA with the OPG, that reduces to 50% if the donor (your Mum) has less than £12,000 income a year, and if she's on certain qualifying benefits, registration is completely free.

    Read more about it here:
  4. Risa

    Risa Registered User

    Apr 13, 2015
    I would definitely recommend that children whose parents have dementia get LPA for Health & Welfare as I have found the NHS to be pretty strict about sharing info/including offspring in any decisions. Having the LPA for my Mum was vital.
  5. Katrine

    Katrine Registered User

    Jan 20, 2011
    Hi Margi29. I was in a similar position for several years. I realised I needed online banking access in order to manage my mum's financial affairs. We went to the bank and I was made joint account holder. In our case someone else had POA, but she lived overseas so I was stuck with doing the work of an attorney without legal authority. The banking access meant that I could manage most things informally.

    The crunch came when my mum was no longer able to speak on the telephone, or write her name. I needed to apply for grant-aided adaptations to her house. She would have to sign the paperwork but was no longer capable. I had to apply for guardianship (in England and Wales it would be deputyship). This was very expensive and took a long time, and there is now a horrendous amount of ongoing monitoring administration and cost.

    I think you have to look beyond what you do now, which is to help your mum with her permission. You have to look further ahead. Sadly, many 'what if's?' are quite predictable, since dementia is progressive. You will be of greatest help and support to your mum if you are well prepared and can act as her representative without being obstructed by officialdom.

    I would say to anyone who asks if they need POA, why would you not need POA? Ideally, everyone should set this up long before they think they have any need for it.
  6. Bod

    Bod Registered User

    Aug 30, 2013

    Short answer...YES
    This will give full offical access to your mothers affairs.
    Get both Financial and Health POA's.
    The forms are not difficult, answer 1 question at a time.
    Get her GP to be the "Certificate Provider".
    She only has to understand, what she is signing, at the time of signing. (pick a "good" day for signing, if necessary!"

  7. Rodelinda

    Rodelinda Registered User

    Jun 15, 2015
    My experience has been that no part of the health service has ever worried about whether I have the health power of attorney in terms of sharing information, asking me to make decisions etc. (I think I'm just lucky with where I live and the fact that my mother has lived with me for some years.) But the financial one has been important. My mother had authorised me to deal with her current account but earlier this year I registered the enduring power of attorney she had signed some years ago. It's let me deal with her tax affairs (formally) and meant I could sign her application for attendance allowance (she never accepted there was anything really wrong and felt all forms etc were an intrusion so would never have signed it). But I would agree with the advice here which is to go for the health and welfare LPA as then there is no question of your right to information, decision making etc and the one for finance if her finances are anything but simple. All the best. Sue
  8. Margi29

    Margi29 Registered User

    Oct 31, 2016
    Thank you all

    Thank you for replys , sometimes you just don't know what to do for best !!
  9. Sam Luvit

    Sam Luvit Registered User

    Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hi Margi

    I would echo the "get the LPA", finance & welfare ASAP. It doesn't have to be a doctor or solicitor, to certify but if your mum insists on one of those, get a quote first. Mums doctor charged more than the solicitor would have :mad:

    I'd be a bit careful being joint signature on her account. This makes you liable for her debts & can mean her savings & / or income, are taken into account in your tax affairs.

    It's safer & cleaner to separate your finances & a LPA gives that distinction.

    I put everything possible on DD, other things are paid online, which I do as she can't (never mind the Akz), I also draw out cash & give it to her to spend as she pleases. It's her money, her pensions & her savings. She feels in control, although I look after it.

    Do the LPA on line, put xyz in where you don't have the info to hand (with a note to self of the sections) & work through a question at a time. Find the missing info & print off for signatures

    I had a post it note on each page with the order of signatures to make sure it was right :rolleyes:

    Make sure you have your ducks in a line, register, sign & post.

    There is a time limit between register & posting. I think it's 28 days, seems long, but it's not when you are chasing up signatures of people who can't see you till next week :(

    Hope that helps :)


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.