Bank Accounts

Booklover1970

Aug 12, 2020
Hi, my mum has Alzheimer’s, my dad is her carer.
She has a personal bank account with one bank, and my dad would like to move some of her money from there into their joint account (with a different bank).
She is still capable of making decisions but is reluctant to leave the house at the moment, is there a way of doing it without her being present?

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Booklover1970, welcome to the forum. Does your Dad have Power of Attorney? If he doesn't I would suggest they look to put that in place as soon as possible and once registered with the bank he will be able to act freely for Mum. If there is no Power of Attorney, which I suspect is the case, you should be able to make the transfer over the phone providing Mum is able to complete the security checks and give the bank permission to take instruction from your Dad. If she is unable to complete the security checks then the other option is for Mum to make a cheque payable to their joint account from her personal account and Dad could deposit it at the bank.

I would really recommend getting a Power of Attorney in place though.

All the best, keep posting.

Booklover1970

Aug 12, 2020
Hi @Booklover1970, welcome to the forum. Does your Dad have Power of Attorney? If he doesn't I would suggest they look to put that in place as soon as possible and once registered with the bank he will be able to act freely for Mum. If there is no Power of Attorney, which I suspect is the case, you should be able to make the transfer over the phone providing Mum is able to complete the security checks and give the bank permission to take instruction from your Dad. If she is unable to complete the security checks then the other option is for Mum to make a cheque payable to their joint account from her personal account and Dad could deposit it at the bank.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply, we’re considering PoA, maybe a good idea for my dad and myself?
The cheque sounds like a good idea, I'll put that idea to them.
Thanks again!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister