BAN ON INDOOR VISITS

ALFORD

Mar 21, 2016
My wife who has Alzheimer’s disease, is in a Care Home and due to her lack of mobility, is confined to her bed on the first floor.

I live alone, have no underlying health problems and have not displayed any symptoms of the virus.

I have not been permitted to visit my wife in her room since March and because of her lack of mobility and the location of her room, have not been able to take advantage of garden or “through the window visits”.

Can someone explain to me why a visit to my wife’s room (without going into communual areas (other than along a short corridor) puts residents, staff or others at more risk than the succession of Carers who come from their homes to work ,move throughout the building and have close contact with residents ?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @ALFORD The visiting situation is really difficult at the moment and as care homes have their own different visiting policies then the situation varies from home to home. My mum's home has been allowing indoors visits for a few months now but with the current increase in infection rates and local lockdowns I'm not sure that the position will stay the same for much longer. I suggest that you contact the manager of your wife's care home and ask for a copy of their visiting policy to see if there is any reference to indoors visits and have a discussion with them about your current situation as they do have the option of producing individual risk assessments in certain situations. Sorry it isn't much help but as it is up to individual care homes to decide on their own visiting policy the best person to speak to is the care home manager.

prittlewell

Jan 28, 2020
Absolutely agree.

I have had a few ‘distance’ visits. The last time they forgot I was coming (only arranged it the day before), the table was not set up in the car park, which they hurriedly did, there was no sanitizer, no log where I should sign to say I am covid symptom free, and no one to supervise the visit. At the end, I had to ring the home on my mobile to get someone to come and take Mum back inside.

My wife wants to visit, but no, she is not allowed as it is only the same visitor allowed, despite the fact we live together, and she would not get within two meters of Mum, and its outside.

Yet the careers go home each night, mingle with their children who have been at school each day, and out with their friends in the evening, and then go into the home and get within inches of Mum to get her up!!

Also, who knows what is going on in these homes???? With no visitors to check what treatment the residents are getting, they could be doing anything. I have a feeling Mum is being kept dosed up on sleeping tablets, as nearly every time I ring, she is ‘having a little nap’. Prior to March, Mum spent every day in the lounge with the other residents........

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Im suprised no one in Government seems remotely concerned about the heightened risk of abuse in the current situation. Carehomes are now allowed to be closed institutions with very little transparency or scrutiny and its really frightening...

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Sorry wasnt meaning to worry anyone with my last post, but it is something the Government should be thinking about

Lellyhelly

Jul 27, 2019
I have not been able to visit my mum in her career home for over a month now. The home has phoned twic in the last 4 days to say she is very poor ly, she is not eating at all and drinking very little. The Home is closed to visitors, I have asked if I could arrange a visit and have been refused. They say they will let me know when my mother is near end of life and will allow enough time for the family to visit . This seems like crystal ball gazing to me. What does anyone think?

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Really feel for you, this is an impossible situation as unless the government makes changes around the rules to enforce c/homes to be more lenient, they will carry on as they are. I know my local mp intervened in a similar situation at the height of the pandemic and was able to help the family. Maybe you could try this? Wishing you every bit of luck to resolve this. Good luck

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
It's so hard @Lellyhelly
Yes as suggested best to contact the care home manager and ask him/her for a copy of visiting policy. . According to the new Winter Plan, the policy should take account of both the risk to residents of coved, and the risk to the deteriorating mental health of the resident. Id be stressing the deterioration to your mums mental health and suggesting she needs a visit. Your mum needs to hear your voice whilst she is still able to. Sending hugs x

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
The new winter plan, which I speed-read today, does mention the possibility of two visitors although it restates that there should usually only be one. The care homes are rather constrained by government guidance. There is not a lot of logic coming out of Westminster right now.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I'd be happy if just one person could visit mum, I'd let my sister or brother go as long as one of us could see her. But the home went into lockdown six weeks ago when Greater Manchester had new restrictions imposed and even though our area, Stockport, came out of them last month, the home are still refusing visits.