Balance and mobility

Lynne N

Apr 27, 2019
Hello, this is my first thread this morning. My Dad is 69 and has alzheimer's. We think it began when he was 65. Over the past few days he has deteriorated rapidly. Can this happen? His balance and mobility seem to
have been affected too all of a sudden. I'm just wondering if he is now in advanced stages? Feeling overwhelmed with emotion right now - anger, guilt and sadness. Struggling to think how I will cope as things get progress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Lynne N
I suspect your dad may have a UTI or other infection as infection can cause a big deterioration. I’d contact the GP & get him checked.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum Lynne. Balance and mobility can be affected by dementia but this usually happens more gradually rather than suddenly. As your Dad's condition has deteriorated suddenly over the last few days it may be that he has an infection and these can cause havoc in someone with dementia. It's worth trying to contact the GP if you can to explain that these symptoms have come on suddenly as there may be something that could be prescribed to help. The current situation is making a lot of us feel overwhelmed at the moment but please carry on posting as there is a lot of advice and support here from others who know how you are feeling.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi Lynne, welcome to the forum. My immediate thought was the same as @Louise7 and @Cat27 - some form of infection. That can really cause increased confusion and also affect mobility and balance. Its worth speaking to the GP (as urine test may be required), if you are able it's worth taking Dad's temperature too. It is so difficult at the best of times, but in the current situation it must feel like and impossible situation - it's great that Dad has you looking out for him. Let us know how it goes. All the best. Stay strong.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
My dad had a big nose dive with regards to balance and mobility last summer. We thought it might be a UTI but was all clear. Now we cant get him up from his chair to clean him without two people.