Bah humbug (not really)

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Morning all. Merry Christmas .

As I have no one to talk to about it ( Dad is asleep in front of the Carols plus I can't talk to him about it anyway) I just wanted to have a wee tiny rant about my Christmas morning.

Got up at my usual 6.00am, had my cuppa and went to wake Dad up. After months of wet bedding, and only wet, I went in this morning to find pooh!! Today of all days! Not that I mind cleaning up - I have a deeply ingrained emergency routine that has got a lot of practice and getting Dad clean and comfortable is always the first priority. So far, so......... Happened to glance at the electric meter, to read 0.15!!!! In all the rushing around, none of us had paid it any heed!!

It's not all bad though. The others have gone to sil's family for dinner, so I am preparing a feast for me and Dad, with as many pigs in blankets as we want!!! They are back this afternoon and will charge the electric key - there is an emergency fiver on it, so I can do the washing and drying etc. Then the nephews are coming for tea and presents, so all in all, a good day . Dad is sleeping peacefully in his recliner and I have got through all the messy stuff and am ready to go and get festive (clothes, hair and full make up I reckon )

It's good to have got that out of my system!! My OH always says -accidents don't blow whistles!!

Lots of love and season's greetings to all, have a great day.

Heidi xxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Morning heidi.

Sorry to hear about your morning. I only had to help with a change of nightie at 5 o'clock this morning, should have been a bit quicker off the mark as it meant finding OH in a very cold bathroom with nothing on and feeling she had been bad. She forgot all about it when she woke again at 8. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble. I just wanted to say you are not the only one stuck at home while the one you care for sleeps off a bad night and wish you a pleasant Christmas lunch.

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Thanks very much nae sporran. I'm sorry to hear that your OH and yourself have had it rough too. The only way to deal with it is bright and breezy action stations I'd say. All forgotten now. Dinner is going like clockwork and Dad is dozing, with the Carols on a loop.

You have a good day too .

Heidi x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks very much nae sporran. I'm sorry to hear that your OH and yourself have had it rough too. The only way to deal with it is bright and breezy action stations I'd say. All forgotten now. Dinner is going like clockwork and Dad is dozing, with the Carols on a loop.

You have a good day too .

Heidi x

Of course, hope everyone else had a good Christmas lunch too.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well it really is Xmas, we didn't get up until 12 noon!! So that's half the day out of the way before we start, Shower and change her then Xmas dinner (curry) later on.
Like most days we'll probably get through it without seeing or speaking to anyone.
K

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
Conveen

Morning all. Merry Christmas ��.

As I have no one to talk to about it ( Dad is asleep in front of the Carols plus I can't talk to him about it anyway) I just wanted to have a wee tiny rant about my Christmas morning.

Got up at my usual 6.00am, had my cuppa and went to wake Dad up. After months of wet bedding, and only wet, I went in this morning to find pooh!! Today of all days! Not that I mind cleaning up - I have a deeply ingrained emergency routine that has got a lot of practice and getting Dad clean and comfortable is always the first priority. So far, so......... Happened to glance at the electric meter, to read 0.15!!!! In all the rushing around, none of us had paid it any heed!!

It's not all bad though. The others have gone to sil's family for dinner, so I am preparing a feast for me and Dad, with as many pigs in blankets as we want!!! They are back this afternoon and will charge the electric key - there is an emergency fiver on it, so I can do the washing and drying etc. Then the nephews are coming for tea and presents, so all in all, a good day ��. Dad is sleeping peacefully in his recliner and I have got through all the messy stuff and am ready to go and get festive (clothes, hair and full make up I reckon )

It's good to have got that out of my system!! My OH always says -accidents don't blow whistles!!

Lots of love and season's greetings to all, have a great day.

Heidi xxxx

Hi, I hope today gets better for you. In the New Year please have a chat to your doctor about getting a Coveen for your Dad. It's like a catheter but external a bit like a condom with the tube attaching at the end to a leg bag, very little chance of developing infections. I had wet Dad for years until I managed to convince the continence team that putting a conveen on my Dad was less upsetting or embarrassing than him being wet, uncomfortable and cold and needing to be washed and clothing bedding changed by me anyway. We finally got the conveen system through the continence team last Christmas, a nurse will show you how to use it, best gift ever, now my Dad is dry 99.9 % of the time unless it comes off. It gets delivered when needed by your local continence service, and phone to order when you're getting low. I'm 38 and my Dad 74, ok it's a bit weird at first using something like this on your Dad, but a pair of disposable gloves and a sense of humour gets you though.

I use Tena men level 4, which we buy ourselves, to cover the poo side of it, as the pads and net pants continence team offered were horrible and a nightmare to use, at least Tena pants, look and fit like underpants.

At the moment Dad is sleeping and I'm watching Madagascar3!!!

Last edited:

Ozzy71

Nov 23, 2015
Hope you all have a peaceful and happy day. My dad is finding it all a bit too much and keeps saying he is struggling to breathe. Hes had it checked and it's just anxiety. He breathes fine if he nods off. Hoping 7 Brides for Seven Brothers will help take his mind off it! X

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
Hope you all have a peaceful and happy day. My dad is finding it all a bit too much and keeps saying he is struggling to breathe. Hes had it checked and it's just anxiety. He breathes fine if he nods off. Hoping 7 Brides for Seven Brothers will help take his mind off it! X

Singing along might help! Top Of The Pops for me then The Wizard of Oz for Dad!

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Dad is still sleeping, so I have watched 7 brides and am now on the wizard of oz for a bit before making the bed now everything is dry. Thanks for the info neonpink. I will definitely look into it - sounds ideal and I think it might have been mentioned in passing, but I didn't know what it was. ( Dad just woke up and burst into song, then went back to sleep again!) You lucky thing Kevinl to lie in till midday. I do get to lie in once a month and then I make the most of it . I hope you are your OH have had a good day.

I hope your Dad is a bit better now ozzy71. Christmas day is a lot to cope with. Did he watch the film? Mine was excited about it this morning , but is having a sleeping day, which usually means till about 5.00pm. That is fine, as I am expecting the rest of the family home then, so he will have had plenty of rest and can stay up later than usual.

I hope you have all enjoyed your Christmas dinner. We did, but Dad being sleepy couldn't manage much and got stuck in a loop on how much it was going to cost him. He only stopped worrying when he went back to sleep .

Enjoy the wizard of oz.

Xx Heidi

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I had been promising German style potato pancakes for our Christmas lunch, then just realised as I got to the kitchen the one thing I had not actually bought was potatoes or indeed onions. Oh well, roast veggies set aside for tomorrow it is and hope somewhere is open. :eek:

Ozzy71

Nov 23, 2015
Dad forgot his 'breathing probs' when the film was on and my brother and his family came. Didn't each much of his dinner but managed a double portion of Christmas pudding and went for a sleep. After his evening shower (the highlight of the day for him!) he came downstairs and asked if it was Christmas Day tomorrow!!!! As he was more with it, we went through his presents as he had forgotten he had opened them. He was a bit dubious about who my husband was when he was wearing his reading glasses and didn't understand who the stranger was, but was fine with him when he took them off!
He manages about 3 hours sleep per night and wanders.( Luckily we are a huge family so try to take turns sleeping over to help mum.) So far I'm the only one awake and we all went to bed at 10.00!
Hope you got your electricity sorted and enjoyed the rest of your day with your family!