Baffled

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, I amposting this thread here although Lionel is not yet 64.

Sunday: Lunch at favourite resturant for Mother Day. Lionel very, very quiet.

Tuesday: Normal day, Lionel asked to go to bed at about 10pm. I asked him to hang on for 10 mins, so as to watch the end of program we were watching together. Started to huff & puff, so I humored him and went to turn down the bed, whilst he started to undress. He refused all offers of help, so I busied myself in kitchen. After 30mins he still was not in bed, his spacial awareness had gone, so had is motor skills.

He turned on me, abusive (although not for first time and I know it is the illness).
He would not let me help, he could not get into bed, so he literally threw himself onto the floor. Resisting my efforts and entreaties, and by this time it was 11.30, I called the paramedics, they came, he responded to them, and they put him to bed.

Wednesday: very subdued.

Thursday: Very upset because he spilled tea all over the carpet. Kept saying he could not do ANYTHING right. Calmed him down.. Had to leave him for an hour whilst I went to A.S. (I am local treasurer).......upon my return there was a bunch of flowers on the sink for me...."I felt O.K. so I went for a walk and bought you flowers." quipped about how he'd bought lilies (in case I collapse one the way home, you would be prepared)............This from the man who has not set foot outside the house on his own for the last 4 months. Indeed the last twice he has been out with me he has fallen.

I am so baffled....pleased that, at least for today, he feels well, but still baffled.
Sorry if I,ve rambled, but just need to get it down. Connie :confused:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Connie

I'm afraid there isn't any answer to the variagaries of AD, all we can do is manage each one as best we can. Be thankful when there is some sign of improvement and remember those times when the difficulties arise, while we battle through.

I hope Lionel's good spell continues.

Cheers Barraf

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
hi connie .this falling baffles me too,jim cannot walk the lenght of the room,with me supporting him,without his legs buckling ,ihave just this week enroled with CARE ON CALL,because he has ended up on the floor so often ,yet while he has been in respite ,they say he has had no falls and is walking about unaided,i think his temper must have the adrenalin flowing.ANGELA

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
Hi Connie
Don't know if this is anything like you experience but when my mum was suffering severe "sundowning" we would have a couple of agitated days, building up to a day or night of complete trauma and breakdown, she would throw herself down, curl up like a feotus and completely ignore everyone and everything, it was awful. However once she came round and out of it everything was sweetness and light and she could do things that were completely alien to her a couple of days earlier. The only way we can describe is it like she has to "pop", almost like she comes up against some kind of congestion in her brain, she cannot do things and cannot make sense of them until she actually "pops" and clears the blockage.

As I say, don't know if this helps, we have since had an increase in her ravistagime(?) and using the sad light box, which has made a big difference to her.

Good luck.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks for all comments.
Am still trying to make sense of the situation. Just had evening meal, just 'yes' 'no', so at one point I said I would dance naked at sundays table top sale "no response".
Lionel has been on the highest doseage of rivastigmine 12 mgs daily for the past year. This really is just a blip, but I shall never throw away the flowers.................Connie ;)

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Connie
we do really know that there is no answer to the swings in behaviour and moods.
I vary between "dear sweet man,you are so kind ,what would I do without you,I don't deserve you" To clear out,drop dead,.you are a wicked swine,you will be sorry for all this.
The walking I am sure is the AD,you will recall I took Peg to the optician,eyes ok,he said the walking and inability to focus was the part of the brain concerned with these functions.
Snatch the good times when we can and try too ride out the bad ones
Best Wishes
Norman :confused:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Connie

maybe he thinks you are his MP... ie that while you promise to do the dance, it will never happen.

Try the dancing at the sale and let us know his reaction..... ;)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Love the wittisisms, however living so close to the edge I might have fallen off, and it was very chilly here on the coast. Lionel enjoyed himself in his own way. Connie