Bad weekend

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Helena that is scary! Mind you they give out whacky credit limits on cards without ever checking what people can afford.

Just a thought, I know a few of you on here have mentioned POA whereas I have an unregistered EPA. The two are different in what you can do with them so do any of you mean EPA when you say POA?!!

Thanks again, anyway.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Apologies

If it was me i do mean EPA and at present mine is unregistered which is acceptable to government depts along with the bank and building societies and barclaycard

However the crazy thing is Hospital Plan to whom my Mother has a direct debit for £1.38 a month

I merely want to know what her benefits are in case its sensible to cancel ( yes I know its a tiny sum but every penny counts ) Hospital Plan refuse point blank to tell me without a Registered EPA ..........the registered post charge to send them a registered EPA will cost almost 1/2 a years premiums

How mad can you get

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I say POA , but mine is registered as a Enduring Power of Attorney My solicitor sorted it out in 2002 when mum was not Diagnosed with AD he must have had some foresight

As I have just read this

An Enduring Power of Attorney generally gives all the rights a General Power of Attorney gives but, unlike the General Power of Attorney, the Enduring Power of Attorney continues to be valid if the person making it (the Donor) loses the mental capacity to manage his or her affairs. An Enduring Power of Attorney continues in force even after the Donor becomes mentally incapable of handling his or her affairs, PROVIDED THAT IT IS REGISTERED.

But now I am wondering how do I know if it is REGISTERD? as I go of and look for it

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just read mine it says that I have to REGISTERED it with the court .

I have not done that .

what the different if I don’t ?

PS

opps just found the other page its has a stamp from the courts on it :rolleyes: oh well it was a long time ago I had it done :)

Last edited:

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hi Margarita

Glad you got to the bottom of your unregistered/registered EPA! I gather from a friend of mum's that she's been flinging her cash around at the shops again. She just keeps buying food; it's truly weird. She alives alone and is spending about £50 a week on food! We've got a bit of a 'meat mountain' going on at the moment; think there'll be snow on the summit, if I'm not careful! Lots of it goes off and I have to throw it away. She's also on the 'cash back run' as well. So spends three quid and gets twenty back! After everything that I've read on here, I'm going to approach the bank and talk to them. I think mum is a now a financial risk to herself although it hurts like hell to say that. She always looked after us when we were kids, always worked (in the days before their were loads of benefits for families). I think that's why she's clinging on to this attitude of being able to handle her finances ... and why she's probably started buying food for a family :(

Have a good weekend. By the way are you still interested in the bike ride? My bike is still without pedals, but I am doing more running to chase away the 'head full of toys' I have after visiting mum!

Helena

May 24, 2006
Lucille

Its vital that you get an EPA and that you take control of her bank account and her finances
However much you dont like to its a vital first step
For some reason their ability with money and finances seems to be the first thing thats affected

My Mother swings from she does not have any money to she has got loads of money

She is however at huge risk of identity theft because she will probably leave paperwork lying around , or simply chuck it in the bin not shredded

ID theft is the biggest threat to any AD patient