Bad to worse!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Snuffy

You do have it in Spades, don't you?

And there is no point in simply typing in some platitudes to send you.

Far as I can see, you have two areas that are a major problem at the moment:

1) adjusting to your grief and the loss of your Mum
2) trying to make sense of a life that has simply fallen apart around you

Hopefully with time your grief will not be so painful, and the feeling of alone-ness will subside. That's not going to be easy, but it will happen, even if it seems to take an eternity.

The major issue at present is your personal situation, and that of your youngest son.

Regarding your Mum's Will(s), then if Mum's solicitors have only the one they have described, then there are only a few options for the one Mum showed you
  • she showed you one she intended to implement but never signed it or had it witnessed and somehow it was then ditched
  • she showed you one that she signed and had witnessed but that she never gave into safekeeping [it may come to light in the house, unlikely I know]
  • could there be another soliditor?
  • it might be at her bank?
  • she may have given it to a friend for safekeeping

If it really can't be found, then the last one to be registered with her solicitor is the one that will be used.

Your situation in the house may depend on the time it was your home and that you were caring for your Mum - as Jude says, try the CAB or the Alzheimer's Society Help line. There may be things they know that we don't that might help your situation.

With all these things pressing on you, no wonder you feel like you are drowning.

I once went on a time management course and - despite turning up a day late [shows how much I needed it!] - there was just one thing that I took from it.

Elephant tasks.

Elephant tasks were described as being those major, major things that could be compared to trying to eat an elephant. There's no way anyone can just pick up an elephant and eat it in one gulp. But if they break a bit off then that will make a mouthful, then they can break another bit off, then another, etc. Until the whole elephant is gone.

Folks, these are imaginary, allegorical elephants I am talking about. Not real ones!

Your present situation seems to be not just an elephant task at present, but a mammoth one. Try and pick off the bits that you can deal with, one by one.

As a first suggestion, gather all the facts about everything, and speak to the CAB and Help line.

... and use TP to let off steam!

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Snuffy Brucie is right, follow his advice, take it in small bites. You will work it all out eventually. Sorry that you're having such a bad time. I have no idea what to say other than I wish you luck with it all. Strength will come from somewhere to see you through, even if it's only through the day, that's all we need.

Hope today is an easier one.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
the only way is up

Dear Snuffy,
Hope this doesn't sound callous, but when you are really down, the good thing is that the only way is up - be kind to yourself, accept whatever help is offered, and explore any avenues available via CAB and AS.
I am ashamed to say that when I first read of your plight, I was so dreadfully tired that I couldn't think straight to send a reply, and I didn't feel I could be of any help anyway. I still don't have an answer for you, but I am thinking of you and hope that something good is just around the corner ..... best wishes!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear Snuffy
take the advice given by Bruce.
In addition write down all your problems as you see them,they will then be the smaller bites to manage.
Start at No 1 and bite them off in order.
This is from a management course also it worked for me although my problems were never as great as yours.
thinking of you
Norman