Bad news! Dad now being referred to Renal Clinic

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I phoned dad’s doctor today. They have taken blood from him twice in the last two weeks. His egfr has gone down to 35 from 37. I was hoping it would have settled as he has been off his Metformin for two weeks. He has now been referred to the Renal Clinic. Has anybody an idea of what happens when referred??

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Sorry I can't help as I have no knowledge of renal clinics but just wanted to say I'm sorry there is something else for you to worry about. Sometimes it's just seems never ending.

Showmino

Feb 4, 2019
Hi. I don’t think you need to worry necessarily about the renal clinic. It’s likely they will take more blood, do a urine test, check your dads weight. They may be able to advise on diet and fluid intake. Of course if someone’s renal function is really bad there would be discussions about the need for dialysis but don’t think your dad is near that yet.
If it helps, my MIL’s eGFR went down from 29 to 23 in December but went up again to 26 after we made a huge effort to get her drinking more. She’s 93 and generally well although sleeps a lot and am sure her kidney function affects her sleepiness. She feels ok in herself though which is great

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. I don’t think you need to worry necessarily about the renal clinic. It’s likely they will take more blood, do a urine test, check your dads weight. They may be able to advise on diet and fluid intake. Of course if someone’s renal function is really bad there would be discussions about the need for dialysis but don’t think your dad is near that yet.
If it helps, my MIL’s eGFR went down from 29 to 23 in December but went up again to 26 after we made a huge effort to get her drinking more. She’s 93 and generally well although sleeps a lot and am sure her kidney function affects her sleepiness. She feels ok in herself though which is great
Thank you.It all helps to give some idea of what to expect.