Back to square one

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Norman
Hope that things are settling down after the out of routine xmas and that you are feeling a little more relaxed. Can i wish you and peg the best for 2005 - make the most of every day some good some not so good. Keep smiling - you kept me going!
Love sue

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Doreen
I too gave up involving Peg in doing things in the house.
It wasn't worth the clearing up after the messes,like water everywhere from coffee/tea making.To say nothing of the milk/coffee powder etc etc.
How can they be involved when they have almost no short term memory?
I think this is another expert's theory blown .
I hope you and all our friends have a peaceful and tolerable new year
Norman

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The thing about many 'experts' is that they tend to observe and try to figure things out on the basis of that. They then try to apply what they think has happened to everyone. They rarely care for someone who has dementia and thus never understand the practicality of these things, on a day by day basis.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
tv / pictures / mirrors

Depending on mood, my husband often gets cross about 'all those people over there', which is usually a signal to turn the tv off.
However, he also finds it difficult to recognise himself on photos and in the mirror, chats to the 'fellow who looks at him in the bathroom', and also to photographs and pictures in the house, whether they are family members or paintings.
He is a great music lover, and for many years, has been trying to display audio tapes, cds and even video tapes and books so that the pictures can be seen (rather than the 'spine'). This causes huge problems, because the whole display collapses regularly, but apart from annoying him (and irritating me, because it looks so terribly untidy), it gives him something to do!
The reason I mention this is, that he has also dispalyed some favourite LPs in the same way, tells visitors that he has had many a conversation with Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra etc. He also chats to them, smiles at them, and recently, has been asking whether 'they' are likely to 'go out' when we are upstairs in bed, and 'why don't they ever talk to me, or need anything to eat?'
Confusion reigns between reality and imagination, and it is not always easy to make light of it!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Is it any different - essentially - than people praying at home, or going to churches, synagogues or mosques and talking to a 'God' of some variety?

Whatever works for them, that is the important thing.

I talk to the radio and TV all the time - mostly telling the BBC to stop advertising digital programmes to someone who can't receive them because they have not updated the transmitter. I also tell them to stop transmitting such low grade trash!

Is that really any different? All of these things just help all parties let off steam.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I find that I talk to myself more these days.
I have dicussions about tasks as I undertake them,getting meals housework etc.
My theory-rather than get into a deep conversation with my wife,most of which I cannot understand,I talk to myself.
Make sense?
Or should I be worried?
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
No Norman you shouldn't worry.

If you are by nature a talker you will talk to yourself or your God or to a loved ones grave, particularly if you are in an environment where you cannot have a meaningful conversation with another person.

I never have been a talker, in any group or even one to one I am the one who listens and very rarely ininitiates conversations. Therefore I don't tend to talk aloud to myself, or to my God, or to anything else.

What goes on inside my head is an entirely different matter. As I hold numerous conversations with all sorts of people, well diatribes really.

So there is no essential difference between some one who talks to him or herself aloud and one who does it in his or her head. It is just human nature.

Cheers Barraf

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Norman don't worry, I have full scale rows with myself. Even bought myself flowers to make up once. Maybe I should worry!

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Norman
I think the question is not "should you worry if you talk to yourself", but should you worry if you don’t, when there is no one else to talk to I think its normal to talk to yourself I do it all the time. It’s only supposed to be bad if you get an answer, sorry Magic.
Anne

C

Chesca

Dear Norman

I spend a lot of time talking to myself around here. It's the only sensible conversation I can get, and even that's doubtful! Mum used to say the only time to worry is when you answer yourself back and give yourself a slap for your cheek!

Love
Chesca

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandaRedPanda