Back in hospital

Feeling unsupported

Jul 9, 2021
What a difficult time for you. I have had recent experience of DOLS with my mum and it was just done by the professionals, I was told about it but certainly not asked to authorise it, either for the hospital or for the care home.
My mum was placed on a DOLS last weekend in hospital, they said they were required to call and advise me of their actions, but did not suggest that I had any say in the matter.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Poor old C was agitated again today. The nurse took some bloods and she was calling her a few choice words.
When C went off to a CT scan I spoke to the nurse and said she was normally so sweet. The nurse said she still can be some days. That was lovely to hear. I told the care worker who was here when C went into hospital that she is not likely to be back home. S said she would miss her.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Well, C was a bit in and out of comprehension today. When the nurse came to take her blood tests and link her up for a drip she was a bit kinder and more patient than she has been. I hope that is a good sign. While waiting to speak to a doctor I stayed for nearly 3 hours and it was rather nice to see the nurses looking after her. The student who was around most of the time was a very pleasant young lady and I think we got on quite well. Despite the pressures on the NHS it is good to see the staff are doing their best for C.
I took my car through the jet wash earlier. I hadn't realised there was a minimum price of £2 and while I stood looking bewildered as I had run out of change (swearing at it ? Who, me? ) one of the workers in the petrol station put me right and gave me a pound to take me well past the minimum. That wee bit of kindness and decency set me up for the rest of the day.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Am glad you are pleased with the care C is getting I hope you continue to get good feedback from the doctors.
was good the guy in the garage bailed you out at the jet wash ??

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad that C’s care sounds so good @nae sporran. That and the kindness at the car wash must have made your day better than it might have been.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks @Izzy and @nellbelles. Sadly, because the doctors have to talk to both me and C's daughter the one I spoke to said they would only tell us if anything significant changes. I can't stop her being a nuisance and I suppose it is her way of coping however difficult it makes the situation, but at least this ward has acknowledged my POA and next of kin status. Back in at 6 and see what C is like today. Nothing will change until Monday at the earliest when the doc has a chance to talk to diabetes and dermatology departments.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
@nae sporran as you are the PoA and next of kin, why do the doctors have to talk to both you and C's daughter? Surely you could relay all information?
Sadly, C's daughter is one of those people who always has to be in charge even when she has no idea what is going on. To be fair to her, it must be pretty hard to have her mum in hospital off and on for 2 months and not be able to visit or to help. It's just a pity the combination of the two actually makes thing more complicated.
C was not so bad tonight and I brought in a CD player so she could listen to Jonas Kaufman and the Weiner Philharmonica. That lifted her spirits a little for a while.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Some progress at last. The carers liaison officer at the hospital is going to speak to the doctor or the nurse, whoever she can talk to, to request that as they have my POA document on file will they please communicate with me and make sure that is passed on. She will also ask them how I will be informed of a move to a pathway 3 bed and how much notice I will be given. Previous experience has made me need to ask.
The Later Life Assessment team have seen C and confirmed that her repeating of "don't let them hurt me" and other variations on that theme is caused by her previous sensitivity to being touched by carers when the blistering was at it's peak. They will pass that on to the nurses and to the nursing home doing the pathway 3 assessment. I think everyone has been working on that assumption anyway, but if it is officially diagnosed as anxiety and is in the record then I feel a bit better about it being part of a future care plan.