Back in hospital

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Has it been established yet what is thought to be the reason for this pain nae sporran?
She had that chronic itch followed by the blisters. The doctors think she feels like she still has it, a sort of remembered pain. The nurse practitioner said she has nothing to compare her present situation to, so doesn't know she is getting better. She has also been stressed for so long it is just impossible to get her to relax and calm.
Sorry Sylvia, I have heard a couple of suggestions along those lines, but no solution.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Just stopping by to say 'hang in there!' and I can only imagine what a tough situation this must be.
Andre Rieu has helped our PWD many times! She just loves listening to his orchestra and he's been popping up on Sky Arts recently around teatime, which is fabulous because we keep her awake a bit longer and get a better night's sleep (most nights!!!)

My mum's pain threshold seems to drop through the floor when she's stressed or confused. We've got a new carer coming some days to help get her up and onto the commode and Mum struggles to follow what she's saying. A few times, she's screamed with pain when she's wiped her or helped her on and off the bed. I've told her (the carer) to let me do the talking and explaining and just to say hello and goodbye and that works a lot better. I know that's not possible in your situation, but it could be worth a chat to the nurses to suggest communication and method of assistance are kept as simple, calm and consistent as possible and in keeping with the way you communicate with her.
The nurse I spoke to on Friday did say that having the ward clerk with her to calm C down a little helped when taking bloods.
I'll just have to take a long walk before going in later so I am more relaxed and see if that helps.
Thank you, seaholly.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It never rains, bit it pours. C was just barely engaging with me noatter what I said or showed her. As prepared to leave the nurse said she was moving. No communication until 40 minutes after we arrived in a private room in another ward.
She has C diff. Alcohol gel is no use as the new staff nurse explained on the phone as I walked home. It's not the toxic version, but can still be infectious. He read up a bit more and let me know it was more infectious than he thought. I like when a nurse makes the extra checks.
The application has been made for a pathway 3 bed, but of course this will possibly delay it. It would have been nice if the doctor and the OY had properly explained that on Friday.
Poor old C was telling me as I left that I won't see her again. She will be dead by the morning. She is just being melodramatic and feeling sorry for herself, but it is not good to hear from a lady who is normally so cheery. I tried to calm her and reassure her and may have helped a little.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh, poor C. Im not surprised she is feeling rough.
At least you know what is going on now and Im glad its not the toxic version.
xx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
It never rains, bit it pours. C was just barely engaging with me noatter what I said or showed her. As prepared to leave the nurse said she was moving. No communication until 40 minutes after we arrived in a private room in another ward.
She has C diff. Alcohol gel is no use as the new staff nurse explained on the phone as I walked home. It's not the toxic version, but can still be infectious. He read up a bit more and let me know it was more infectious than he thought. I like when a nurse makes the extra checks.
The application has been made for a pathway 3 bed, but of course this will possibly delay it. It would have been nice if the doctor and the OY had properly explained that on Friday.
Poor old C was telling me as I left that I won't see her again. She will be dead by the morning. She is just being melodramatic and feeling sorry for herself, but it is not good to hear from a lady who is normally so cheery. I tried to calm her and reassure her and may have helped a little.
no wonder shes sore. definitely infectious but C has had more than her fair share of things that she has suffered

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Oh poor C and poor you! You are barely being kept in the loop.
I hope C improves soon and you get the information you need to help her!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you both for your support. I'll have a couple of calls to make in the morning and one or two people to track down at the hospital.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
You must be absolutely exhausted, it’s awful that just trying to find out what is happening to our loved ones when they are in hospital is SO SO difficult. Think you’ve earned a coffee and cake , chocolate bar, or glass of wine- no seriously make sure you leave a little time to be kind to your self.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm out of my depth now.
Dementia Connect said a DoLs needed my authorization, the doctor and the nurse said it does not. They don't C's best interest and review among all the staff every few days.
The pathway 3 planay be done by a different social worker to the one who was putting together the care home move. Nobody will be appointed until the finding is agreed and I can't insist it is the same one.
The nurse was very defensive and just looked tired and fed up. That is not good. The doctor and the physio were more helpful.
C looks like her energy is gone and she barely engages.with anything I say. That's not new, bit it's not getting better.
Back in tomorrow and I ll try to get a CD player in the morning to get her going again.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
I'm out of my depth now.
Dementia Connect said a DoLs needed my authorization, the doctor and the nurse said it does not. They don't C's best interest and review among all the staff every few days.
The pathway 3 planay be done by a different social worker to the one who was putting together the care home move. Nobody will be appointed until the finding is agreed and I can't insist it is the same one.
The nurse was very defensive and just looked tired and fed up. That is not good. The doctor and the physio were more helpful.
C looks like her energy is gone and she barely engages.with anything I say. That's not new, bit it's not getting better.
Back in tomorrow and I ll try to get a CD player in the morning to get her going again.
What a difficult time for you. I have had recent experience of DOLS with my mum and it was just done by the professionals, I was told about it but certainly not asked to authorise it, either for the hospital or for the care home.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
What a difficult time for you. I have had recent experience of DOLS with my mum and it was just done by the professionals, I was told about it but certainly not asked to authorise it, either for the hospital or for the care home.
Thanks for that. They did tell me on Friday, but today was the first chance I had to talk to a doctor for about 10 minutes. That is rare in that hospital.
I hope.all is as well as it can be for your mum.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I'm out of my depth now.
That’s what I am going through at the moment with the guardianship process. We thought our POA would cover a move, but not in our county. It just adds to my OH‘s time in hospital when he is ready to leave, and just extra stress and money for us.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good luck @Thethirdmrsc.
I spoke to Cs dementia navigator who said all I can do is be there and hold her hand. I can't even do that as her skin is so sensitive. Back in to visit in a bit and a bit of music at our sheltered housing. C would have loved that, she would be flirting with the singer and conducting the music. I just hope there's music in her nursing home.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Quite a long way, I hope, with my OH from this stage yet, but my Mum is in a Home since 2017, after being adamant she was never going in a Home went on respite for 2 weeks while I was on holiday and within an hour of me getting her back home asked if she could move in permanently! Initially she had a new lease of life, even started walking again for awhile. And she is very happy there. They have activities everyday, including music, and the Home is letting us put in sn Alexa at Xmas and will set it up to their WiFi. I still feel like I let her down, but I honestly don’t think she feels like that. Hopefully C will be happy in her new Home too.?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That looks like a good place @Knitandpurl.
C was a bit more lively today even though she had just been a scan on her stomach. Nothing much has changed, but at least the c diff remains inactive in her colon. We're just waiting for her to move to an assessment bed.