Back in hospital

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo again, we se to lurch from crisis to crisis at the moment. I should have seen this coming in the spring and headed it off, but that's another story.
My partner was in hospital in September and October, there was a failed discharge and a post hospital problem or two which means we are now looking for a care home for her.
Last night she slipped out of bed when I was trying to help her. She wouldn't wait for the care worker and her skin was so sensitive she screamed when I helped her with her nightie. I should have calmed her and waited for help.
Long story short, S from the agency helped get C as comfortable as possible and the ambulance came about 2 hours later. I've never seen her so hysterical and delierious. Somewhere close to midnight she went in. I was told a few minutes ago she has been seen by a doctor and they will call if they needed me or if anything changes.
Thanks for reading.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Rob I’m so sorry to hear this. Poor C - and poor you. I hope they can help her settle her down quickly. Thinking of you both.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Oh no @nae sporran so sorry to hear C is back in hospital. I wonder if she has an infection Which is making her delirious?
I remember my dad suddenly getting very sensitive to even the most gentle touch. Not sure why. He always got delirium when in hospital.
I hope you get some news from the hospital today. Wishing you strength and thinking of you both.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))
Perhaps it would be best if she went from hospital straight to her care home?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks everyone.
A UTI is a definite line of enquiry and going into respite care at the very least straight from hospital crossed my mind this morning. I sent a text to Cs daughter, but she has not replied and keeping her from taking over would take more resources than the hospital can afford.

Time to sepak to the social worker.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s going from bad to worse for both of you @nae sporran. I agree with @canary the time may have come for residential care.

Perhaps if you have the strength, you could use the time C is in hospital to look at care homes and also see if you can sort living accommodation for yourself too.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
oh no, i hope C calms down and is treated successfully. maybe care home for respite. you are both really going through it. if they cant stop talking to the daughter, maybe talk to you first and get your decision before contacting her.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I need to see what homes the social work budget will pay for, Sylvia. I started looking at support for job hunting provided by the carers centre and getting advice on benefits yesterday. This will just give it more impetus and
more time to look into it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I hope you can get some respite for C when she comes out of hospital @nae sporran. It sounds as though she’s not safe at home at the moment and you need time to consider your options - if you have the energy!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
SO sorry to hear this @nae sporran. I hope they get C comfortable pronto, and C's daughter doesn't interfere too much. I guess she is only trying to do her best for her mum but without liaising with you that isn't very helpful. I hope the social worker can sort things out.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Perhaps you could get daughter to do the initial on line / brochure/ research on Care Homes/ Respite. Then discuss with you before any visits happen. Might help her feel she is involved and ‘helping’. My husband was very delirious in hospital- didn’t really improve till I got him home, even when they said his UTI had cleared. I think it’s the disorientation caused. Thinking of you and wishing you strength for this new stage. ……

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You are both in a bad place just now which is typical of this stage of dementia. I just hope for some good news for you personally on the job front and house situation. You deserve a break.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I note you say you should have 'headed this off in the spring'. But hindsight is a wonderful thing! It's incredibly hard to act before the crisis, even when you can see it coming.

Don't beat yourself up, Rob - you could not have prevented this deterioration. I hope you get some time now to concentrate on the things that will matter going forward - C's placement, and not least your own home and a job you're happy to do. And I hope C improves in hospital. Take care.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks everyone.
I have emailed the carers centre job advice line and the person who can help will respond on Monday.
The carers liaison at the hospital has explained pathway 3 assessments. I'm not sure if that was what the social worker hinted at, but it gives me something to ask about.
C is still in ED majors while they test for an infection and check X rays. She will staying overnight the nurse tells me, but I can't visit.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
So sorry you are both going through this. Both my parents were in and out of hospital for a couple of years but never went in after they moved into nursing homes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR