Back in hospital. Sigh.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I will be going up to central london and working from the office twice a week. It's been pretty hectic ensuring the carers and nurses will be turning up on the days im not here. But i think we have everything in place (wel, II've had assurances).

Dad is doing really good. Eating well, and much more with it. Blood sugar levels have been really good over the last couple weeks. Since stopping the dementia medication we have noticed some real improvements, his speaking has improved and he seems to be much more aware of his surroundings. The only downside is he is slightly more agitated/anxious. But overal it's been good.

He has been pretty constipated, so we've increased his fibre intake. But again, the upside is i'm not having to change him 3 or 4 times a day. But i guess i shouldn't be selfish.

Anyway, here's hoping for a smooth tomorrow.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone. Things have been okay since going back to the office a couple times a week, it's also nice having a break from care, even if working. It's not perfect, but fine enough, and there is no point me sweating over the small things.

Now... talking of sweat... Anyone had an issue with unxplained excessive sweating with a PWD? We thought it may be due to constipation, but he's certainly not been constipated this weekend. This afternoon/evening he's been all clamy and sweaty, but his temp is fine and blood pressure in his normal range. Blood sugars have been fine. It's just odd...

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
We have been getting calls from a debt collection agency, for my brother. He doesnt live here and I havent seen him for nearly two years. I have told them this, but i dont think they believe me.... hence why they continue to call. Very frustrating.

I had a week off from work last week, but it was stressful anyway. I have been chasing blood tests for the past few weeks with no luck and chasing an initial assessment for NHS continuing healthcare since dad was in hospital in March (but get told it isnt possible for someone to come out and do it right now). I spent friday traveling around on public transport just to have something to do (i knew the carers and nurses would be in to see dad on that day, and if im home the carers just try to fob it all on me to do).

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hey,

Just a quick update. Dad has been a bit unwell over the last few days. We don't know ecactly what the issue is, but hes been prescribed some oral antibiotics for his wheezing and has had a catheter put in, hopefully just for now, as they want to monitor his urine output for a bit. He's been sleeping a lot, talking less, and his tempreture has been a bit all over the place. They think he has an infection of sorts... but as i said nothing comfirmed. Fingers crossed he gets back to some normality shortly.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hey everyone, I have a question for you.

My dad's infection from a couple weeks back seemed to clear up a-okay after a few days on antibiotics. However, I noticed his urine was smelling rather fishy a couple days ago and he has just been really lethargic (it's an odd thing to explain, he's not sleeping more like a couple weeks back, he's just not really opening his eyes properly... maybe just one of those things carers of PWDs notice.)

Anywho, they confirmed what I expected and he has a UTI, but the GP said they don't want to treat it, unless he gets a temperature or behvaiour becomes noticeably different. I understand that you don't want to give anti-biotics too much and all that. But is this a normal thing to do? I'm just worried if they don't treat it now, it will just be much worse in a few days/a week. Just wanted to hear feedback on this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Personally, I think that sounds very strange. Its quite common for people with dementia not to get a temperature. OH is now on continuous low dose antibiotics, but before he was started on them he didnt get typical UTI symptoms (temperature etc) until the UTI was so bad that he ended up in A&E with sepsis. IMO I would have thought it was much better to treat it early.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Personally, I think that sounds very strange. Its quite common for people with dementia not to get a temperature. OH is now on continuous low dose antibiotics, but before he was started on them he didnt get typical UTI symptoms (temperature etc) until the UTI was so bad that he ended up in A&E with sepsis. IMO I would have thought it was much better to treat it early.
i would have thought so too. from experience i know that UTI are painful and constantly wanting the toilet is not pleasant. that will only get worse without treatment. maybe you need to ask for a second opinion from another GP in the practice

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
@jennifer1967 @canary
I thought it seemed a bit odd, but I don't know what's normal. Anyway, it's pretty obsolete now, as I'm currently with dad in A&E. I got home from work and he was vomitting and released his bowels and his temperature went up high. Anyway, it may or may not be related to the UTI. His vitals have all come down as his temperature although raised has come back down. We may not have called for an ambulance, but with his diabetes and inability to hold down anything, it was decided it was probably the best thing to do, even if just a stomach bug.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hope they've got to the bottom of what was causing the vomiting etc @aztec camera, and that your dad is feeling a bit more chipper now.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Dad's on an antibiotic drip and fluids drip. He's looking much better but sleeping most of the time. Which is good. They're putting a new catheter in. He'll be home in a few days hopefully.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry, AztecCamera, I just saw this and realised your dad has been in the wars for a few weeks. Nothing to offer but moral support and hope the new catheter helps.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Firstly, thank you for the nice replies, I really do appreciate it. Dad is still in hospital, we have had a couple of worrying moments, calls during the night from doctors. But his vitals are looking good and he has started eating little bits. While the reason for his initial vomiting remains a mystery. He isn't in great shakes, but we are still hoping he will be back home monday/tuesday, as we would rather he was somewhere familiar. He tends to perk up at home, and if he doesn't.... well he can listen to some lloyd cole and feel comfortable.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Seemed much more alert today, had some very thickened water from a spoon, was going well until he started choking, but managed about half a cup, so not too bad. Doctors seem happy for him to go home very soon. He would be very happy to get home I'm sure.