back from holiday

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi All

Back from a much needed holiday, picked up mum today from respite. It was really emotional as she cried, we cried, we were so pleased to see her and she us. She couldnt wait to say goodbye to all her new friends but she has enjoyed it. We had a fantastic holiday. Just a shame the rest of the family are now using mum settling into respite as a reason for putting her into a nursing home permanently. Why can't they just see that we will decide when we can't cope no more and leave us alone.
On a brighter note, the dog is much better and back to his old self, we know he has a tumour on his kidney so won't be with us forever but the key is one day at a time.
Met a gent from scotland on holiday and his dad is just showing the very early stages of Alzheimers and his sisters are burying their heads in the sand and saying its just old age, gave him all the advice i could and pointed him in this direction.

Janice

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi, So glad you enjoyed your holiday and that your mum was ok in respite care. Every time i hear of someone doing that succsesfully it gives me hope that one day we will be able to do it. I am sure it must do everyone good and after a break see things in a better light. hope things keep on a even keel for you . storm

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Jan, glad your holiday went well. It is surprising how well our loved ones do on respite, but, it is not a reason to throw in the towel as you so strongly say and I completely agree. I could not have coped without respites these last three years, but it gave me the strength to keep on doing it at home if you know what I mean. Now I know thats not every ones cup of tea and if you don't feel you can do it you shouldn't feel other's can make you. If on the other hand you want to, then my advice is, respites can make the difference between success and total collapse for all of you. If you can get them, take them and use the time wisely to enable you to cope better when your loved one comes home. Glad your dog is holding his own. Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jan,

Welcome back! Great news to hear that all was such a big success all round. It is really heartening to know that respite does actually work both ways. I agree with your comments about pressure from siblings. If you are the carer, then it's up to you to decide the future really. It's not actually disrupting their lives too much is it?

Good news about 'el doggo'.

Jude

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Glad you had a good holiday. Brucie once told me that my siblings had sacrificed any rights to make decisions about mum's future when they completely opted out of helping care for her. That gave me strength and it's perfectly true. You decide when or if it's time, you're the one in the front line, it may never come to that, you might always cope, as long as you take breaks.
Good news about the wee doggie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet