Back from holiday and Mum is more confused

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I am Mums ( with moderate AD) main carer apart from Dad with MCI.
My husband, children and I have just come back from a weeks holiday, while my sister took Mum & Dad to stay at her holiday home for a week.
They have both been there about 5 times previous, but not for at least 9 months.

We sort of knew Mum would be disorientated, but we didn't realise how much this time.
Getting up 4-5 times a night, despite all lights on and doors open looking for the toilet.
In and out of doors. Thinking it was my sisters house, how long had she lived there.
She also asked my sister who my childrens mother was... That's a first! :eek:

Upon returning home yesterday, she was still confused thinking it was still my sisters house, and asking where she was sleeping and where the toilet was :eek:
Mum is better this morning, but still asking questions of what she knew the answers for ( mostly) up until a week ago.

This morning my sister told me everything that happened, and was said while I was away. Apart from what I have mentioned above, nothing else was new to me :)
This is the longest my sister has spent with Mum and Dad since 9 mths ago, and Mum has declined alot since then, so to my sister I think she was quite shocked.

So, i think from reading other posts it's anybodys guess as to whether Mum returns to her previous self pre holiday or this change in routine and surroundings can now signal a further decline?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Two things that worsen confusion: UTI and stress.

She may have been stressed by different house and career. She may be less confused on next days.

But as she was lost in a house, I would keep an extra attention for wandering.