Baby talk

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
:eek: My husband is in his 5th year of diagnosis of Alzheimer's and has changed from being a Rugby League nut to a Baby Lover and likes nothing better than the adverts on TV which contain babies and toddlers. Can anybody recommend dvd's or video's that have babies in them. It isn't really the cartoon type he likes.
I have said in previous threads that supermarket shopping is getting really hard work as he stops at every young child he see's and as he has more or less lost his coherant speech I just worry what the young mother's think. Up to now we haven't had any adverse reactions.
Perhaps some of you have found the solution.I spent time yesterday trawling the music stores.

Zadok

Mar 15, 2006
Kent
Mothercare

Maybe you could try Mothercare for a video or Early Learning. The Telletubbies programmes have a baby face in them and are almost cartoon babies. Do Mothercare still have a catalogue with photos of babies to advertise their stuff? (Long time since I had a baby in the family)

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
How about "Look who's Talking" with John Travolta. My Mom also would dote over every baby in the grocery store. I would have to pull her away ! Most mothers were understanding.
Debbie

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Mocha, my first thought was 'Daddy Day Care' - although the kids are mostly post-toddler stage ... still cute (and that's just Eddie Murphy!):)

I shouldn't be worrying about what young mums think ... most are delighted when anyone - including strangers - takes an interest in their little ones (when they are safely in their care, of course). Have you observed how a parent can look so frazzled (especially on a shopping trip) and yet their faces immediately light up the minute someone pays attention to/compliments their offspring?

I would be very surprised at adverse reactions - rather it's a moment or two of 'stress-relief' for them!!!! See it as you're doing them a favour! (Sorry, doesn't help you much with getting YOUR shopping done!)

Love Karen, (TF), x

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi mocha
My mother is the same, any child in the supermarket or street she will take their hand and talk to them, like you I only hope none of the mothers take offence. I just shrug apologeticaly. She was never very maternal in her younger days too busy working. It is the same with dogs, she wasn't interested in dogs or indeed any animals, now she enjoys my dog and parrot, saying the dog talks to her and she wants to take him home, this from someone who would never allow an animal in the house. The family find this very funny, we have many a laugh when she plays with my dog.
Sorry, can't help you with your quest for baby stuff, sound silly, but would a baby doll help? You know the dolls that look like babies?
Alfjess

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Thanks everybody for your replies, especially Zadok, I hadn't even thought about Mothercare and I walked right past yesterday, we also have an Early Learning.....What a Thicky.............
I bought a puppy when our old cat died last year but although Ron likes him I think he would rather I had adopted a baby[one that didn't grow up of course]
Mocha was our 20yr.old cats name