Baby Alarm?,

LibbyM

Mar 11, 2021
I'm trying to keep myself active by continuing some studies I have been doing for the last 2 years, but my husband keeps calling out to me "What should I be doing?" , "What do I do now?", "Are we doing......?" etc - you all know what I mean. The trouble is, even with wearing hearing aids, I can't always understand what he is saying and so have to get up from my chair (breaking my concentration) and go to wherever he is. I need to find some two-way communication aid which doesn't need him to have to switch anything on/off. Has anyone any suggestion? Especially if it is something that can be 'worn' on a lanyard, so that when he goes 'walkabout' in the house it is still with him.

Kika

May 11, 2019
I think with your thread title you have answered your own question, as long as he would recognise your voice emanating from a device!
As for being interrupted, that happens to me all the time, and I'm trying to write a novel!!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @LibbyM and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. It can be really hard to do things for yourself when faced with constant questions and demands. I admire your perseverance. My personal experience is limited to use of simple locator devices for finding things like lost keys. You need something much more sophisticated that can handle voice communication. There are various wearable lightweight walkie talkie units available for use in things like outdoor sports but I don't know whether they would be suitable for your circumstances. It would be worth doing a search online. Other members may be able to give you the benefit of their experience of using such devices.

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @LibbyM , I wonder if there is anything mentioned on this website that would help/ https://meetadam.co.uk/ It is a very useful resource for finding technology to help deal with the various things dementia can throw at us.
However I do wonder if getting someone in to sit with your husband or take him out would mean you'd get a unbroken run at doing whatever you want to do. I'm deaf too, and I find understanding my mother who is in a care home very difficult, even when I'm right next to her. I think it's because in conversations with most people I can fill in the probably word when I don't get everting in a sentence, and that just isn't possible with my mother, who talks of random unconnected things.