Babies, children, bereavement and Funerals...

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
I thought our situation could be helpful to you when wondering how to deal with children attending funerals or not and their ages.

My 67 year old cousin's funeral will be held on Friday. Her 4 grandchildren are 2, 4 and 10. Many other mourners will have to bring their babies/children with them on the journey which for many will involve a whole day away from home, too long to leave children behind.

My cousin's family would very much like to have a funeral service "undisturbed" by potentially fractious, crying babies/children. The family realises that the younger generation cannot easily/financially arrange for babysitters for a whole day and have therefore been practical to help parents out upon arrival. Several babysitters have been laid on to care for babies from 6 weeks old up to 12 year old during the funeral and for the reception afterwards. There will be about 15-20 under 12s. A congregation of about 250.

Upon informing mourners of the date and time of the service, those with children were informed of the babysitting availability. The family chose that children aged 10 and over are welcome to attend the service, if so desired. Their 10 year old grandson will make a reading and the 4 year old will sing.

If no provisions for babysitters are made for the funeral you would attend, you could always ask for the recommendation of a babysitter whom you could pay for the required period, enabling you to at least travel to and from the funeral with your child/ren.

I have bought the 4 year old a book "Always and Forever" by Alan Durant (£5.99) "A wonderful and moving story that explains death gently... The illustrations are fantastic: (BBC Parenting)". - The book has proven a great success and rings true whatever the age.

I hope this helps.
Martina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose