Babble!

SaraS

Feb 14, 2007
Hull
I wanted to tell my tale a little and hope that just doing so will help me destress!!!!

I'm the youngest of 3 children who's Mum was diagnosed last June and am still waiting for it all to sink in!! She is taking Aricept but she seems & her Psychologist said is deteriorating faster than expected - dont think the fact that she has suffered with depression is helping her much! Her memory is sporadic, diet poor & she has become manipulative & aggressive to my Dad - a bit sneaky too!!

She had a bout in hospital - starting on my birthday & there I witnessed hallucinations which have not reoccurred since she came home - that time was due to her not eating or drinking n losing a lot of weight. She manifests her upset and need for love and attention as physical illness.

Anyone seen similar?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Sara, and welcome to TP.

Everyone on TP has a different story to tell. Some are comparable with others, but no two people are the same.

I care for my husband.

Like your mother, he has been depressed, manipulative and agressive, and his memory, or lack of it varies, depending on it being a good day, or a not so good day.
Unlike your mother, he was unable to take Aricept, it was the Aricept which caused his hallucinations, and he eats well. He is deteriorating slowly.

I`m sure you will get lots of responses, you will be able to relate to, from people who share your concerns.

Keep in touch, Love Sylvia xx

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Sarah you are talking of the woman I love!!!

She's got depression, pretends to take medications I hand but actually drinks the water without swallowing pills then spits them out later.. Thinks I am trying to kill her, Hates me or loves me depending on the hour...

Has hallucinations and talks to the girl in the mirror.. demands to be taken home to her long deceased mum and dad almost all the time. Wants to go to bed around 9.30 then will exit the bedroom every 20 minutes or so clearly distressed and wanting attention - until maybe 01.30 AM every night these days..

She seems to be deteriorating much faster than I expected ... Of the Docs I suspect

All pretty normal I think!!!!

Awful thing to say but that's how it is.. They can't help it and sometimes it is hard for us to help them.

be brave and good luck with it all

love

Michael

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Nada said:
I think this has come up a few times before on Talking Point. It's probably so much easier to explain a physical illness than trying to explain being anxious.

And lets face it, being anxious can make you feel absolutely dreadful, physically: as that adrenaline flows your heart pounds, you feel sick to your stomach, your breathing can get short.

Jennifer

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi SaraS

Welcome! I'm one who has brought the 'physical manifestation' up a few times ... thanks to the wisdom of other members here I feel easier with it now ... but you have my every sympathy/empathy .... it does mean you're kept on your toes and having to make judgements about whether it is really necessary to call in the doc...... (and my philosophy now 'If in doubt, do!' - some of her fact and fiction I can manage ;) - but I leave the medical judgements to the medics!!!!!).....

Without trying to be alarmist, I think it's worth remembering that dementia does not mean our loved ones are excluded from other medical conditions.

Interesting point about the hallucinations - I was aware/witnessed mum had some (nothing too disturbing) ... never connected before that, yes, it was a time when she was at her lowest weight (has since managed to gain some) and was also so anxious her doc had prescribed Diazepam...... nothing for months now ....

Do keep posting ... see, there you were thinking you were destressing and you've helped someone else understand something better already!!!! Such is the beauty of people 'offloading' on TP!

Love, Karen, (TF) x