B12 injections

dunlin

Jul 18, 2014
My dad has mild/moderate Alzheimer's diagnosed.

He is now regularly on b12 injections after he had classic syptoms that I thought I'd share because it took nearly 2 years before a doctor realised!

Extreme nausea, mostly in the mornings and vomiting
Tiredness, lack of interest
Tingling palms
Small breakouts of spots on arms, head and body unexplained
Breathlessness
Confusion, memory
Feeling faint and not himself

Since he started an intense b12 course he has improved 10 fold!
I have no idea why it took so long to diagnose, even after all the blood tests for innumerable things
Just thought I'd highlight it here as b12 absorption decreases in age for some people, and its such an easy thing to remedy :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Low levels of B12 are known to cause mental confusion so, as you say, it is strange that it took so long to diagnose.However, I believe the readings have to be requested for a blood test rather than showing up in the usual blood test.
It is the first thing that our GP arranged but it was my suggestion that it could be the cause, so I guess that had a bearing on this.
Sadly, it wasn't the cause for my husband but I'm pleased that your father has inproved so much.

My daughter has to have B12 injections as her Crohn's disease prevents the absorption of B12 but it was years before this was discovered and she suffered no signs of mental problems at all. She gets very tired when her dose is due but then she has little iron for the same reason too.

hayleshunter

Mar 22, 2015
My dad has mild/moderate Alzheimer's diagnosed.

He is now regularly on b12 injections after he had classic syptoms that I thought I'd share because it took nearly 2 years before a doctor realised!

Extreme nausea, mostly in the mornings and vomiting
Tiredness, lack of interest
Tingling palms
Small breakouts of spots on arms, head and body unexplained
Breathlessness
Confusion, memory
Feeling faint and not himself

Since he started an intense b12 course he has improved 10 fold!
I have no idea why it took so long to diagnose, even after all the blood tests for innumerable things
Just thought I'd highlight it here as b12 absorption decreases in age for some people, and its such an easy thing to remedy :)

Are there any side effects from the B12 injections? How often are they taken? My mother is suffering with waves of nausea. Goes grey, needs to sit down, closes her eyes until it passes. Is this similar to you father?

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Glad this thread came up for you Hayleshunter as I just read your thread. My Dad and I both have B12 injections three monthly. Initially there is a loading dose, for us that meant six jabs over a period of two or three weeks then three monthly jabs for the rest of ones life. I also experience digestive problems and feel really tired about three weeks before next jab is due but all GP's say this is in my mind. Rose x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej