AZ support meetings for carers

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
I have just been to a support meeting for carers of people with AZ and I found it really useful. Ok I was the youngest there at 40- something but I was made very welcome. I also found out that mum should not be paying any Council Tax- she was only paying a small amount but this should have been nothing. A nurse explained the signs and symptoms of dementia and this was enlightening as to mum's current behaviour. Would recommend it if you can get to one.
I spoke to mum last night and told her I was getting support and she was pleased. However Age Concern lady had been in yesterday to take mum to town/lunch- Mum has absolutely no recollection of the 3 hours they spent together!!!!

But she was happy!

Julie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Julie

The only people you can feel at one with are those who understand dementia. And you can always learn something at these support groups as everyone`s experience is valuable.
Love xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Julie,
I am so pleased you found support from your A.S. Branch.
There is a wealth of knowledge to be had.
For five years they have been my anchor as well as all the support and friendship from Talking Point.
My theory is don't ask a Professional as a Carer & former Carer they have the experience of 24/7 caring.
Best wishes
Christine

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Julieann15

I went to my first meeting today too. The meeting I went to was run by the Alzheimers Society - was yours?

Love Helen

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I started going to a support group just over 7 years ago. Since last July, I've become a facilitator for the group.

I cannot recommend a group strongly enough. There are some people, of course, for whom it doesn't work. That's fair - we're all different. When I first went, it was such an incredible relief to realize that I wasn't alone in this. Some of the sharpest, most pointed and best advice I've received was from other carers.

We just had our summer social meeting this past Wednesday. Lots of laughs and a few tears. Great as always.